New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing SCSI PCI Card to work with Disk Enclosure RAID array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Chandler
Occasional Advisor

Installing SCSI PCI Card to work with Disk Enclosure RAID array

Hello,

I have installed a HP U320 64bit Single Channel SCSI G2 Host Bus Adapter SCSI card into a DL380. However, I have been unable to get the ACU to recognize anything which is plugged into it.

The DL380 was previously configured as an Onboard Simplex SCSI, and I have tried changing this configuration to both a Simplex PCI, and a Duplex PCI, but the Disk Enclosure attached to it still is not recognized by the system. What am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to configure the SCSI card to be recognized by the system and ACU?

Thanks,

Jeff
10 REPLIES 10
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,
ACU (Array Configuration Utility) works only with CPQ\HP Smart Array controllers.
You try to use simple SCSI controller, that haven't array capabilities.
Onboard SCSI in DL series are array controllers.
regards,
Andrzej
Jeffrey Chandler
Occasional Advisor

Andrzej,

Thank you for the information. Does this mean that I will not be able to use this card with the SmartArray Disk Enclosure that I am trying to configure with it? or does this mean that I cannot use the ACU to configure it? When I was saying ACU before, I was referring to the utility used to configure the array when first booting up and hitting F8 when prompted. I just wanted to clarify to make sure we are on the same page

Thanks,

Jeff
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Jeffrey,
what SmartArray Disk Enclosure are you talking about? Model number?

As far as I can tell, only the MSA20 contains a SmartArray controller and you _need_ another specific SmartArray controller inside your server to be able to set up such a configuration, because ACU cannot talk 'through' a simple SCSI adapter to th MSA20.
Jeffrey Chandler
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

From what I can discern, it is an MSA30 Disk Enclosure. When I connect one of the channels (A or B) to the onboard external SCSI of the DL380, the ACU recognizes half of the drives in the Disk Enclosure, but not when I use the PCI SCSI card which I installed.

Thanks,

Jeff
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

OK, that makes sense - to me...

The MSA30 is a pure disk drive enclosure. There is no RAID controller embedded. If you connect it to your U320 SCSI HBA you can see each drive through the adapter's firmware and if you run an operating system it will see each individual disk drive.

The ACU is not a general utility to find all attached disk drives, so it simply ignores the U320 HBA.

If you connect the MSA30 to a SmartArray controller, then ACU can talk to the controller and will display the disk drives reported by it.

Does it now make sense to you, too?
Jeffrey Chandler
Occasional Advisor

Uwe,

Most of that makes sense to me. You stated:

>> If you connect it to your U320 SCSI HBA you can see each drive through the adapter's firmware

My question regarding this is, how do I access the adapter's firmware to see each drive.

My second question, is the only way for me to setup a RAID Array on the hardrives attached to the U320 HBA would be to connect the MSA30 into a SmartArray controller?

Thanks,

Jeff
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

1) I am not familiar with the U320 adapter, but when you power on the server it goes throught the POST (power-on selft test). As part of this it initializes all adapters. Some of them give you a message which key combination (e.g. CONTROL+C, ALT+Q) to press and a few seconds to act. Once you have pressed this keys, the adapter's maintanance program is entered - I'm sure you have seen such messages already like pressing [F8] to configure the iLO.

2) Well, many operating systems (Linux, Windows) offer a so-called host-based RAID. On Linux this is the 'md' driver, on Windows you use 'fault tolerant sets'. The advantage of the SmartArray controller is, that it 'hides' the individual disks from the operating system and automates some tasks like handling a spare disk while you often have to do more work on the operating system

e.g.: you can only boot from a physical disk drive. The operating system can mirror that data, but what happens when the physical boot member dies and the operating system goes down? You have some work to get the system boot from the mirror. A SmartArray controller hide this nicely, because it always presents a single 'pseudo disk' that appears to work fine unless you have multiple disk failures.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

since you have a dual bus storage box, you would need a dual channel controller if you want to have all disks on the same controller. Or else you get a Single-Bus I/O Module for the MSA30 and you could connect it to the external SCSI port of the DL380 and you would be able to configure all the external disks for hardware RAID using ACU (your internal disks would need to be configured for onboard simplex). If you have all disks running on the onboard controller, you might want to consider the Battery-Backed Write Cache for the 6i controller.

Regards,
Stephen
Jeffrey Chandler
Occasional Advisor

thank you all for the information