Disk Enclosures
1752777 Members
6278 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Internal and External disks at same time on one controller?

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Internal and External disks at same time on one controller?

Hi All,

I know the old rules on the parallel SCSI based array controllers didnt let you connect internal disks and external disks at the same time on the same channel of the controller, but does the same rule apply with the new SAS array controllers?

Specifically the Gen8 6G ones like the P222?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark...

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > Disk to Disk Array. - HP Forum moderator

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
3 REPLIES 3
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Re: Internal and External disks at same time on one controller?

The controller will detect the new drive and it will be marked as unused.

Since SAS uses a serial topology each channel, or port, can handle new drive insertion without affecting other drives.

The manner in which SAS drives are ID'd helps as well.  Each drive has its own unqique SAS address, thus eliminating the issue of duplicate IDs.  Both of these also help when a particular drive is failing.  In most cases the only the SAS port the drive is attached to is affected, not the entire bus.  

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Thanks Robert, but not sure I understand your answer!

So, with a P222 in a DL380 Gen8, will I be able to attach the internal drive cage to the internal connector on the P222, and and external D2700 to the external connector on the P222 and be able to 'see' / work with all the disks at the same time?

Thanks

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

That is correct.  The P222 has two ports and from what I see they are not shared (by shared I mean by using one you will not disable the other - the SAS controller distrubutes its data links between the two ports).

Here are the product specs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=north_america&type=html&docid=14227

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!