Disk Enclosures
1748035 Members
4542 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is it possible to move disk from a enclosure to another on VA7400?

SOLVED
Go to solution
faust2004
Regular Advisor

Is it possible to move disk from a enclosure to another on VA7400?

Hi , friends

we have va7400 connected to hp N4000box. all the disks on va7400 are used as autoraid.
and data in stored in it . now we want to move some disk from a enclosure to another (all enclosure are not full). is it possible ?how to do it?

Sunny
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Armin Feller
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Is it possible to move disk from a enclosure to another on VA7400?

Hi,

you can only move unused disks to an other enclosure or all disks used by an volume group by vgexporting, moving and vgimporting.

Regards ...
Armin
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Is it possible to move disk from a enclosure to another on VA7400?

Sunny,
all the data are spread across VA disks in Redundancy Group. So if you'll get one disk out of VA, it will work, if you'll get another disk from VA, in most cases it will work too (remember: RAID5DP and skilful RAID0/1 organization), but, if you'll remove more than 2 disks and VA will not manage to rebuild before it then data will be lost.
So if you want to move disks from one VA to another I recommend you to do full backup of VA data, delete all LUNs in VA, then remove disks and insert them into another VA. You should include that disks in the new VA disk set because it will display them as 'previously used' (armcfg -a). Then, on the first VA, recreate all LUNs and restore data.
I strongly recommend you to call HP - they'll do it in fast and secure way (I may miss something in procedure described above...)
Good luck!
Eugeny