Disk Enclosures
1752714 Members
5717 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is it safe to replace missing disk in AutoRAID when rebuilding?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Is it safe to replace missing disk in AutoRAID when rebuilding?

I'm replacing a disk in an AutoRAID 12H disk array. Disk was having lbolts. I have the replacement disk. I pulled the failed disk. AutoRAID is now rebuilding. AutoRAID has Hot Spare configured.

Should I wait until the rebuilding is complete before I insert the replacement disk?

jack...
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

I would wait until the rebuild is complete. I would not want to risk causing problems by doing much while the array is rebuilding.
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

That's what I was thinking. In the past the drive would had already failed and I didn't have to wait because the rebuilding was usually done before I was ready to replace the disk.

Thanks Patrick...

jack...
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

There are times when having a sandbox with an array are nice to test on. I can tell you that I have absolutely replaced a FAILED disk while the AutoRAID was rebuilding; this works. However, do not yank a non-failed disk while you are rebuilding or data loss will occur.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Jack C. Mahaffey
Super Advisor

Thanks Clay.... I thought about that and then I remember getting a bad replacement drive in the past. No telling how the disk array would had reacted.

The disk array is not supporting a production database so I'm okay.

Thanks again...
jack