1753667 Members
5853 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is this possible.

WMihalik
Occasional Advisor

Is this possible.

Okay, the general consensus here is that the following is not possible using hardware RAID but would be possible using software RAID. I just want to check with the experts and hopefully get a final word on the matter.

There's this server, a DL580, that needs to be built and company standard states that you must have a mirrored boot drive, but due to a mistake in ordering it only came with one hard drive. This of course makes mirroring very difficult if not downright impossible.

The question is this: if an OS was put on the single drive would it be possible to mirror that drive when the second one arrives without destroying the information stored on the first drive?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

I am sure you are using windows platform. Yes it is very well possible to mirror disk in windows withour destroing data.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Most Proliants come with a SmartArray RAID Controller built in. If this is true for your DL580, then simply add a new disk and invoke ACU (Array Configuration Utility) to do a RAID1 configuration... which by this time I think is no longer disruptive.. It's been eons since I've tackled Proliants - but that's how OS and Data disks are normally protected on these machines.

Hakuna Matata.
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

No problem,

When you get the second hdd, make sure that you choose the option to change raid level to 1 instead of expanding the array which would leave you at RAID 0.

ACU will give you that functionality to migrate raid levels.

Greg
Lets Roll!
e4services
Honored Contributor

This is all assuming that the one drive you have is in a hot swap bay and that bay channel is attached to a RAID controller and not the onboard SCSI controller.
Hot Swap Hard Drives