4555 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LUNs beyond ID 7 are not visible

Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

LUNs beyond ID 7 are not visible

Hi,

I have 2 A class servers connected to a VA7100 via FC Switch fabric. Initially the VA7100 had 7 LUNs of size 1GB each and both the servers were able to see all the LUNs through ioscan. (even after a reboot or insf -e) Now that I created 2 more LUNs on the VA but the servers are not able to see them. These servers have PCI FC A5158 HBAs. I learnt that there is something called Volume set addressing HP-UX which can resolve this problem (from some old ITRC threads). But how do I enable VSA on hp-ux 11.11?.

Pl. help

Thanks,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
5 REPLIES 5
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Re: LUNs beyond ID 7 are not visible

Hi,
I suffered these limitations with our HDS9960 bay and 5158 HBAs my workaround at that time was to use JNI cards, and complain about the situation at HP...
All this is over... and I dont remember having something to do on the OS side - on the bay side there was a firmware upgrade...
So I believe VSA capabilities are already there in your OS so I would look disk cabinet side if it makes the correct request (Use VSA!!!) - driver bound should be 'fcparray' ...

All the best
Victor
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

I could resolve the issue after I defined the host port behaviour using armhost command for the VA array ..!!

format for the input file is,

Node_WWN HOST_OS
(53124457493763 HPUX)

armhost -w -f filename arrayID

-Regards,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Curtis Wheatley_2
Occasional Advisor

Sounds like you got it worked out. The solution you enployed looks correct to me.
Skilled workers are always in need
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Yep. It needs to be this way. The storage array must know the operating system in order to accomodate it with the answers the OS likes to see. For some reason different OSes want different answers - it is not only PDLA vs. VSA. The storage administrator MUST make sure this is properly set up - in the worst case it can cause a host to crash (I have heard about a case with a big AlphaServer GS160 running SAP R/3).

Karthik, you could also check if you can set a default 'host-mode' on the VA7000's controller ports to HPUX - I beleive the default is, guess, Windows.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thank you guys though it was a very late response :-) ...

-Karthik S S