1752567 Members
5190 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: LUNs through 2/16V switch from VA7410 are not visible

Suresh R
Occasional Contributor

LUNs through 2/16V switch from VA7410 are not visible

I am using a VA7410. I have connected it to a 16port SAN switch (2/16V SAN switch) through the Host-2 port. I have 10 LUNs on this array. I am able to see the LUNs from another machine which is directly connected to the array (Host-1 port). But the machines that are connected via the SAN switch are not able to see the LUNs (checking using the command ioscan -nfC disk).
7 REPLIES 7
S.Arunkumar
Trusted Contributor

Hi Suresh

When u connect a switch in betwween the host and the array then you are in part of a Fabric.Check in the switch whether u have Zoning enabled.If it is so then u may have to create a new zone for the new san connectivity.Else if ther is no plan of connecting any other devices then u can probably remove the existing zone.This will solve ur problem.

Zoning the switch depends on the manufacture of the switch.U may have to go thro the manual of the switch.

Regards
S.Arunkumar
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Hi suresh,
I understand you connected one host directly to VA. You also connected 2/16 switch to second host port.

If you have installed CommandviewSDM, check the port topology(armdsp -c). If it's set to Private loop then connecting switch may not work.
Switch needs Point to point fabric.

I suggest to connect two switches in to both fabrics and change the topologies.

I generally follow this..
direct to host without switch-->private loop
connected to switch --> PTTOPT_FABRIC.

I never tried one port connected directly host, and other one to switch. I am not sure whether its a supported configuration.

As suggested, check the Zone settings too.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

I remember that direct attach a host to a VA7xx0 isn├В┬┤t supported since a firmware change in 2002.
Best regards,
Patrick
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

I don't think so. 2004 I installed one VA with HP18 direct to host and several other VAs with switch.

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi,

someone told me that Point-to-Point is unsupported with HP14 or greater. Maybe I am wrong. It was on a training for VA-Arrays in 2002 (Bad Homburg, Germany).

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Suresh R
Occasional Contributor

Initially, we had the VA7410 connected ONLY directly to 2 of our machines. Later we added the switch to extend its connections to few more machines using an old 8-port SAN switch (one of the early compaq model). It was working.

It means, 2 things

1) Direct connections are possible on a VA7410
2) A Direct & a switch based connection can co-exist for a VA7410

Suresh R

ps: Looks like there were no previous zoning configuration and we are still trying to figure out why its not working...
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

1. Does the va successfully log into the fabric. Check the Nameserver table on the switch.

2. Does the servers successfully log into the fabic.

3. Is the switch zoned so that the va ports and server ports can see each other.

4. Does the security in the va allow the server's NODE wwn (not PORT WWN) access to the specific LUNs.

5. What OS and HBAs are being used on the servers. Often there is a tool to allow you to see the SAN from the HBA's point of view.