Disk Enclosures
1752365 Members
5807 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Logical drive extend problem

Trzebieniak Tomek

Logical drive extend problem

Current configuration: COMPAQ ProLiant DL380 G3, HP Smart Array 5304-256, External storage unit with 14x 72,8GB U320 SCSI 15k, HP Array Configuration Utility ver. 7.40.8.0.
Some times ago I add new 6x72,8GB HDD (now is 14 HDD), after that I can't extend logical drive on Array B. I click Extend -> set new size (maximum is 764103 MB) -> Accept -> click OK on the window with information about extension on Windows 2000 and SP lower then 3
and it back to main window without "SAVE" button. What's wrong? I know I can backup all data and create this array once again - but it takes about 2 or 3 days. There is about 480GB of data and 400 shares.
7 REPLIES 7
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Re: Logical drive extend problem

Hi Trzebieniak!

Try to use offline extension, boot from Smart Start and run ACU. Check firmware of all hard drivers, both new and old
Trzebieniak Tomek

Hi,
I tried OffLine extend (I boot server using SmartStart 7.30) without success. Array Controller and HDD have latest firmware :(.
Now I have problem with latest version of SmartStart 7.40 - it hangs during Scanning Controller. Why? (I change Array Controller to another one - the same model). Somebody know how to use HP Array Configuration Utility CLI?? - it use command line mode.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

I purpose there is hardware problems... Use ADU for testing. Can you try to change PCI slot of your controller? What model of ext.storage do you use? MSA30 (SB,DB)? You can downgrade you ACU software (uninstall ACU 7.40). GUI ACU use the same commands such as CLI interface, try to use the older version
Trzebieniak Tomek

I tried with older SmartStart - the same problem - I can't extend logical drive (there wasn't any problem with controller scanning). In ADU probably all is OK (I attach report). I use Compaq StorageWorks Enclosure Model 4314R.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Strange... report indicate about 28 physical drives. SA controller can support up to 14 drives per channel. You attemped to expand LD with drives from different disk shelfs?
Trzebieniak Tomek

Hi,
No, I tried expand LD only with drives from this disk shelfs.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Trzebieniak, post your phisical ACU view here.
Try to open ticket on HP Support...