New Discussion

MPIO EVA-GL and -XL

SOLVED
Go to solution
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

MPIO EVA-GL and -XL

Hi,

I plan to do CA between one EVA6100 running XCS6.110 and one EVA5000 running VCS 4.007 with some W2K and W2K3-R2 hosts.

Is there an order to install the two MPIO kits version 2.01.00 on the hosts?

Another question, is there a common MPIO kit to support these two EVA's génération to be soon available?

Regards

Jean-Pierre
4 REPLIES 4
chris callihan
Advisor

Re: MPIO EVA-GL and -XL

are you planning on running CA synchronous?
there are some restrictions on asynchronous between XCS6.x and VCS firmware.
Mark...
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

No, no common kit I'm afraid.

I suspect you know the HP website but here it is anyway in case you don't:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=421494&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

From here you need the FULL MPIO version for 3/5K. You will also require an XCS version as well. Choose the latest DSM module for both the MPIO types.

If you are going to install all of the kits on the same windows server I would suggest that you do:
VCS full MPIO 3/5
XCS MPIO
DSM

Either way always put on the MPIO then DSM for the server[s] required. I would also suggest that when reboots are requested you do them when asked for and not save up for one reboot!

The other noter [above] has a good point about CA. My understanding is that with XCS V6.xxx and CA it will only do what is known as enhanced async with another EVA running XCS V6.xxx otherwise it will not work in async mode across different XCS eg V5.xxx with V6.xxx or any VCS / XCS V6.xxx CA pair. This means you would need to go sync with your DR_groups.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

Chris,

no problem as CA is planned to work in synchonous mode

Mark,

in a recent SAN architecture course, we tried to instal a beta test of common MPIO, but it never works, it is for these reason i ask it.

Thans you for the installation order (and the reboot needed between instal's), i plan to do it in the next week.

Regard

Jean-pierre

jpmartin
Regular Advisor

OK