New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000/1500 bootable cdrom for linux ia64 based hosts

SOLVED
Go to solution
ecorban
Frequent Advisor

MSA 1000/1500 bootable cdrom for linux ia64 based hosts

Hi

i have both hpux and rh as3.0 on rx2600 hosts. i need to get the cdrom for msa 1000/1500 which boots off the hosts so i can assign luns and make changes for the ia64 based hosts.
where can i get this cdrom. the qla2x00 driver src and driver is installed so the hba driver is not a problem, but the bootable cdrom with the msa config utility for ia64 is what i need to get ?

thanks alot
eddiec
7 REPLIES 7
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Re: MSA 1000/1500 bootable cdrom for linux ia64 based hosts

You can download the ISO image from HP web and burn it to a CD.

See
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/softwaredrivers/msa1000/msa1k_software.html#cd

which has link to

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/supportsoftware/iso/hpmsa/HPMSA_A.160/iso/US/HPSSCD65102.iso

bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

OOOPS.
What I gave you is for IA32.
Not sure whether it works on IA64.

bv
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

Hmmmm.

Read:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/techdoc/msa1000/configuring_ia64_msav1_0a.pdf

It says that ACU still does not run on IA64 Linux.

In a pure IA64 Linux environment, you must use a serial cable from some server to the MSA and use the CLI (command line interface) which is built into the MSA.

Otherwise, to use ACU, you'll need an IA32 server running Windows or Linux or an IA64 server running Windows.

bv
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

One final note :[

My statement:

"... you'll need an IA32 server running Windows or Linux or an IA64 server running Windows."

also implies that this server MUST BE PART of the SAN. I.e., it must have a Fibre Channel HBA and be connected to the SAN switch because ACU uses in-band management -- i.e., it talks to/manages the Array by sending commands over the FC itself. So that adds greatly to the cost of this "extra" server.

bv
ecorban
Frequent Advisor

so how am i supposed to setup this host. can i just connect the msa 1500 directly to the host via the hba and install the cli rpm. what is the cli rpm for the msa 1500.

I have 6 msa 1000/1500 with about 20 hosts on linux and ifg have to setup using the cli.... is there any other way to do this..........
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

CLI is command line interface available on msa1000/1500 controller via serial interface.
Connect serial cable to your linux host and use minicom command

Regards,
Zygmunt
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

CLI is built into the MSA. It is accessed via its serial port.

The manual for it is at:

hp.com/storage/Entry-level/HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1000/
Technical documentation/HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 1000/
1500 cs Command Line Interface User Guide (May 2004)

You should have received a serial cable with the MSA (9-pin at one end; RJ45 at the other). Simply connect it from a host serial port to the MSA serial port.

*** set the host serial port to 19200/8N1 ***
(not 9600/8N1, which is usually the default)

I know that it works for PCs and laptops, simply using free HyperTerm.
However, I'm not sure whether the cable works from the the rx2600 nor what device name you would use for 'minicom'.

For my rx1600, the standalone serial port is /dev/ttyS0. The serial port on the GSP is /dev/ttyS2. I would assume that it is the same on the rx2600. I use them for serial consoles.

If you are using them for serial console, then you could disable the 'getty' temporarily.

Anyway, the CLI works fine, once you get used to the syntax -- and you have to understand how setting up LUNs works in the MSA.

hth
bv