1752600 Members
5014 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 SNMP?

Michael Nguyen_4
Occasional Contributor

MSA 1000 SNMP?

How does one monitor the MSA 1000? I've pored through the Reference Guide and no where do I see any mention of how you would detect that say, the controller had failed over or a drive had failed. How do users go about doing this?

I suppose I can use the console once per day and look at it, but I'd prefer that I some how be able to determine if something has failed on the unit.

There has to be a way. Does anyone know where I can start looking?

Michael
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 SNMP?

Secure Path Manager and Insight Manager should be helpful. Since the MSA does not have an onboard Network Interface, there is no direct reporting/event forwarding, only through the servers it is attached too.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Michael Nguyen_4
Occasional Contributor

Hmm....neither of those packages appear to be free. So to monitor this unit, I will need to buy something else?

Michael
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Insight Manager is free. It comes with EVERY Proliant Sevrer on the Smart Start Management CD. (Unless that was changed)

Secure Path is NOT free. But if you have Secure Path Agents running, then you should have a SecurePath Manager Cd as well. It is part of the package.

Are you running dual controllers in your MSA? If so, you should have Secure Path Manager/Agent CD's.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Michael Nguyen_4
Occasional Contributor

I'm running dual controllers, but I don't have SecurePath because we run Linux and use the built-in failover that comes with the QLogic driver.

I have the CDs still for my DL360s. Hopefully there's a Linux version for this Insight Manager!

What I really want is something that will integrate with our current monitoring system (in other words, SNMP). It doesn't have to be SNMP, but if it was, it'd make things easier.

Michael
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Thats what i get for assuming your running windows.

Yes.. you definitely have an issue then. If you don't run Windows at all, then I do not think Insight Manager will work for you. It is Web based, but unsure if it runs over linux. I know HP has started making things run ob both Windows and Linux, not sure if they got to SIM yet. (Systems Insight Manager).

ARe you using the MSA Switches? or external SAN switches? You might be able to read SNMP from the switches to see when things shift around. i.e. When fabric A suddenly has no more traffic and Fabric B does...

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Michael Nguyen_4
Occasional Contributor

Yeah we're using the umm... 2/8 integrated switches. We have redundant controllers as well. The MSA 1000 also has a pair of 4314s connected to it.

I don't recall ever having the opportunity to setup an IP on the switches though...but I sort of recall an RJ-45 port on the switches.

I'll take a look, maybe you're onto something here!

Michael
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

They definitely have nic's on them, and a web interface. The default IP should be 10.77.77.77 and the account ifo is admin/password.... real secure.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Michael,

The MSA by default has built in support for Insight manager: http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11033_na/11033_na.html

review the quickspecs regarding insight manager.

Multi-platform Intel├В┬о-based Server Support ├в The MSA1000 offers Multi-platform Intel-based (x86) server support to allow a broad range of Intel-based servers to take advantage of the MSA1000's scalability, flexibility and connectivity, and supports ACU and Insight Manager. When used with a ProLiant server, the MSA1000 also provides unparalleled integration with the MSA1000 Support CD and Pre-Failure Warranty support

As far as built in failover support in linux. It is my understanding that you still need to have SecurePath installed. Have you been able to confirm that the controller will fail over to the secondary controller if the fibre cable is pulled from the primary i/o module?

Ciao,
Lets Roll!
Michael Nguyen_4
Occasional Contributor

Yes, failover definitely works with just the QLogic driver. I've yanked cables etc.

Michael