Disk Enclosures
1748185 Members
4304 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 and which IBM product (is there any compare web site ???)

jeny

MSA 1000 and which IBM product (is there any compare web site ???)

hi,
I wonder that HP, IBM competitive web site (free)available or not. I send to myu customer MSA1000, but he ask me competitive analysis, so how can I find?

How can I fing performance competitive also, I need yor help. I waiting your suggestions
3 REPLIES 3
Ian Posner
Occasional Advisor

If you're deploying Windows, forget IBM's NetFinitty range -- IBM's hardware is not targetted specifically at Windows, which you'll only find out after you've bought it -- the configuration options for stripe size and caching are geared to Unix systems and the configuration utilities are very poor, relying instead upon hundreds of pages of manuals. After all, they would prefer that you couldn't configure it so that they could sell you some consulting services!

Just remember -- if deploying Windows, use HP kit -- that's what Microsoft use and test on in Redmond (I've worked there).
jeny

hi Ian,

I am also unix and linux system user. Your are right for windows user, but when you think abaout enterprise systems, is HP not enough? if everything is configure according to windows systems, on unix systems is HP poor? I am good at HP hardware, I dislike IBM, but if you are right, I am very sad. is HP very poor on enterprise systems?

vaaw you are worked on HP company, nice to meet you ian.
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

If you want a small shared storage device for a small (2-3 PCs running Linux or Windows) cluster that doesn't do heavy I/O, an MSA1000 is OK.

If you're looking at enterprise-level systems, the MSA1000 is simply not in that class. It's more or less a fibre-capable version of the same RAID controller built in to some of the Proliants, with a fibre hub attached.

Yes, you can use it on big HP-UX or Digital UNIX systems if you really want to, but when I last looked not everything was fully supported. The release notes for some updates suggested hooking up a PC to do some of the updates and configuration.