1748035 Members
4616 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 - delete logical without causing failover

Andrew Pearce_2
Occasional Advisor

MSA 1000 - delete logical without causing failover

I have an MSA 1000 (f/w 4.48) with dual controllers.
It is used by Windows 2003 servers using Secure Path for Workgroups. One of the servers has 2 arrays assigned to it (Array A & Array B). Array B had 6 logical drives which are no longer required. I wish to reprovision Array B to another server.
I intend to do this by the following process:
1. On Windows server: Remove drive letters from volumes.
2. On Windows Server: delete Volumes
3. On MSA 1000 (from ACU): unpresent all logical drives (on Array B) from Server in SSP. Save Configuration

4. From ACU: delete all logical drives from array B
5. Recreate new logical drives
6. Save Configuration
7. present logical drives to new server via SSP.
8. Save Configuration

I am a bit nervous about the first 3 steps because I have a feeling that when I have been messing around with an MSA 1000 in a testlab, doing this caused Secure Path to think that a problem has occured with the logical drive and a controller failover to occur on the MSA 1000. Has anyone else experienced this when unpresenting logical drives to a server? and can you advise the process to do it without causing a controller failover.
3 REPLIES 3
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 - delete logical without causing failover

That doesn't sound like normal behaviour.

You do have a couple of options.

Disable the standby controller, either using the cli >disable standby or ACU, disable standby controller.

Or,

Just remove the FC cable, on the secondary path.

Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

This is normal behaviour in Windows/SP environment. This is stated in some notes...
Andrew Pearce_2
Occasional Advisor

If documented, can you advise which documents where this behaviour is mentioned? I have searched around but have had not been able to find anything myself.