1748181 Members
3848 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1000 failed HDD replaced, rebuild not starting

Joe Conner
Occasional Advisor

MSA 1000 failed HDD replaced, rebuild not starting

I know this has been asked before with similar configs, but I've not see this specific to my hardware:
Upon startup, bay #12 in one of my MSA1000's lit red. I've hot replaced the failed drive. MSA1000 sees the drive hot added, and Array Configuration Utility v7.50.23.0 (Windows) now shows the new HDD as unassigned. Nowhere can I find a place to assign the drive, and begin the rebuild process. I thought it starts automatically, but it's been quite a while since I've been through the scenario.
How do I nudge the MSA1000 to rebuild the array back to RAID using the replaced drive?

I plan to restar the MSA1000 and attached server in a few hours, I hope that does the trick.
14 REPLIES 14
Joe Conner
Occasional Advisor

I am going to need some help, as to how to get the logical drive to start rebuilding.
I have restarted the server and the MSA1000 - and tried two different new drives as replacements, and it just won't start the rebuild.

Physically inserting the new replacement drives shows they are hot added, I can hear them spin up. The green hard disk light on that replaced drive does not stay lit however - maybe because it's just not part of anything yet? It does blink orange status when selected in ACU (and also blinks along with the others when the array is selected in ACU.

I can see the drive in ACU, it shows up in Box1 Bay 12 like it should, status "OK", and is unassigned. But I don't see anywhere where I can assign it to be a spare or anything.

Any other option to manipulate the logical drive gives a warning that data will be lost, so that scared me away from trying anything.
There is no action menus on the MSA1000 itself I could find to start the rebuild.

Help!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

What SCSI ID does the disk get?
What SCSI ID did the failed disk have?

Should be the same, but on most cases like this what happened was a corruption of the RIS, so suddenly the MSA sees a disk as missing from the RAID, a disk that has an SCSI ID that does not exist. So even if you replace the disk, it will not get that SCSI ID that the controller is waiting for.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

i'm surprised you can't see spare management if you select the array (not the logical drive).
have you tried through the cli ? i take it this was not a raid 0 array ?

fwiw

Joe Conner
Occasional Advisor

Well, I don't see a "SCSI ID" anywhere. The failed drive was in Box 1 Bay 12, so is the replacement drive. The replacement drive is the same specs (capacity and all that), and as I said the MSA1000 does see it arrive into the enclosure.
I'm not sure where I would check (or change) the SCSI ID. "More Information" shows all the data about the replacement drive, but SCSI ID is not listed.

I'm surprised I don't see any options to add a spare as well. I suspect changes to the array are not allowed because its running in "interim recovery mode", I did read that changes are not allowed while operating with a failed drive (it is RAID 5 btw).

I've never use CLI, I don't think I have the cable even. I've always just used ACU.

Do I need to dismount the volume from the host O/S, "delete" the array, and recreate it again? Although I'm warned about data loss, does that really delete the data on the array?

I've got to resolve this soon, as I'm unprotected now, if another drive fails I really will lose the data on it.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

there is always :-

backup - delete array - recreate array - restore

fwiw

Joe Conner
Occasional Advisor

Yeah, it's beginning to look that way. Not trivial, since it's quite a bit of data. Hopefully, the data will survive deleting and recreating the array - but if it isn't seen the same way as before, I doubt that will be the case.

It's disappointing the array didn't work as planned, and allow a hot rebuild without all of that. But at least thus far, no data has been lost.

Still, the question is open, is there way to entice the MSA1000 to start the rebuild onto the replaced drive?
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you can use the acucli , it's not as friendly as the serial cli , but useable -

C:\Program Files\Compaq\Hpacucli\Bin\hpacucli.exe

type in help at the prompt to get the list of commands up, if you've got the acu utility user guide theres a section in there with some examples.

fwiw

Joe Conner
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the Cli tip, I'll try that out also!
Greybeard
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, you don't say what size the disks are but if they're all the same just make the new disk a Global hot spare then the degraded array should grab it.