5998 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA 1500 MSA20

Colin A. Mackay
Occasional Contributor

MSA 1500 MSA20

Greetings,

We currently have an MSA1500 controller with a 12 bay SATA drive array (MSA20). We have a 40 gig logical drive on the array that we wish to remove, without disturbing the other drives, however it was not the last drive to be created.

Is this possible?

We have not yet upgraded the firmware on these devices to the latest, as we are still planning a time to do so. Does the most recent firmware make any changes that would allow us to remove this drive?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Colin,

I believe the restriction still stands, only the last LUN can be deleted.

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
C_Smeijer

Deleting a logical other then the last created :

This rule only applies with drives in the same arraygroup.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

You mean if I got two arrays with three LUNs on each array, I can delete the last two LUNs on each array without any problem? I must confess that I didn´t try that. I only know that I can only delete the last LUN and not a LUN before that LUN.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

FYI,
This issue with deleting out of order LUNs under an Array, isn't entirely the MSA fault. All Smart Array Controllers have this limitation.
The issue lies with ACU. Think of the ramifications if you allow this to happen. Example three LUNs under Array A, delete LUN1. Now we would have to shift that space toward the bottom. Not a big deal but if you have a fault with a drive during this shifting, then you could potentially loose your data.

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Data loss should not occur unless you have a RAID-0 logical disk. Don't forget that the controllers also move data around when:
- adding disk drives to a drive array
- converting a logical disk's RAID level
- ?doing other tasks I haven't thought about right now ;-)