108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 1500 - System Fault Indicator on front panel

SOLVED
Go to solution
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

MSA 1500 - System Fault Indicator on front panel

I am posting in the hope of getting help with my issue. I have a MSA 1500 that hasnt been setup yet. I have put two controllers in with older firmware, I have two fibre I/O modules, and one SCSI module.

I have the SCSI module on the back-right side and have a msa30(scsi) plugged into the SCSI/SATA port (and not the SATA only).

When I power on the cs and the msa30 it wanted to copy over firmware to the other controller, ok fine. Once that was done I powered off everything, brought it back up to do a firmware update with the latest, and I always run into this....

The array powers on, it gets to, "21: Scannign SCSI devices" or whatnot, and sits there forever. The front panel of the 1500cs has an amber light on the second light from the left. In the manual this is called the system fault indicator. I cannot find any help or any info online to help me in troubleshooting this.

Also on the back the one SCSI module has the top light solid, and the bottom light off always. The fibre I/Os seem to never have lights, or if they do its flashing amber.

I cannot get the array to do anything past scannign SCSI devices and I can never get the bootable firmware tools to detect a msa1500 even there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

In the manual it says, "System fault -- On -- Amber -- Fan module cannot access controllers"

What does this mean? Google and these forums didnt turn up anything....
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

The fan modules in the array all have green lights on them and appear to be functioning fine.

The system fault indicator light only comes on when it starts to scan scsi devices (and never stops) and then the array just sits there. Should the fibre I/Os be lighting up too?

I am out of ideas and would really appreciate some help.
RIchard Beresford_1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

1.Try to boot up on only one controller....Make sure this is right hand side slot from the front....This is always the active controller at boot.
2. Check cache sizes are the same.
3. Use the supplied serial cable and connect to the front of the controller and use hyperterminal to connect (19200). When the controller boots, keep pressing the tab key.......This should output the boot process.....See what it says..........(btw) You can also download firmware here as well (very slow though)......
mujzeptu
Super Advisor

I have resolved it. THank you for the advice!