5064 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 30 EMU

Ralf Buchhold
Regular Advisor

MSA 30 EMU

Hello
what can I do with the EMU by a MSA30. Is there a software, where I can check or monitor the MSA ?
Thanks
Ralf
----------------------------------
Each MSA30 model is equipped with a hot-pluggable EMU that constantly monitors the enclosure, the power supplies, and fans to ensure suggested operating tolerances are maintained.
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Ralf,

AFAIK the device is covered by the Insight Manager.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralf,

if the EMU senses a problem (i.e. voltage, temperatue etc etc) then it will communicate this to the SCSI controller (i.e. SmartArray) and the warning or error will be logged at the OS level. If it's Windows you'll see an entry in the system event log.

If you have management agents installed, you will also get a SNMP trap send to your management station also (i.e. SIM) as already mentioned by Torsten.

So their is no need for you to go out and check the EMU itself, it is all build in and done for you in the background.

HTH

Kris
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Hi Ralf-

EMU- Environmental Monitoring Unit. it does many things and they come supplied in many more types of enclosures than the MSA30. it coordinates the status of the LEDs in the bank, has the "zone 4" temp sensor. basically it is in charge of everything besides I/O. there is a serial diagnostic cable you can plug into the back ot it. you would have to call HP to get them to send you one. you plug one end into the CAT5 port and the other into a laptop. open up a hyperterm session and let it run for a week or so. it will spit out errors in simple text format so you can save and send in for analyzing. ( or you can buy a little LCD monitor to view real time status on a permanent basis).

thanks.
--Andy