1753879 Members
7322 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000 cascade with MSA30 DB

slchong_1
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 cascade with MSA30 DB

I would like to enquire about MSA30 DB cascade to a current MSA1000.
My OS is MS Windows clustering having two nodes.

In product bulletin, it stated that MSA30 DB allows fault tolerant, does it mean that when one side of the bus fails, system can still access the storage via the other bus?
Is this auto fail-over to the next bus without interference to the hosts?
Am looking at the DB instead of SB cos am afraid using the SB when the bus fails there's no redundancy.
Please advise. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000 cascade with MSA30 DB

The MSA30 DB *DOES NOT* provide redundant paths. Those are two completely separate SCSI busses.

If you look at the specs again, you see that they are talking about "controller duplexing". It means two different controllers are talking to those SCSI busses, but the MSA1000 cannot do controller duplexing.

The best thing you can expect from such a configuration is to let the MSA1000 controller mirror the data on disks distributed over both SCSI busses.

Calling that a "fault tolerant" configuration is, ahem, an overstatement, IMHO.
For example: should the I/O module in the MSA30 DB fail, both busses are dead.
slchong_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: MSA1000 cascade with MSA30 DB

Hi Uwe,
You mention that 'The best thing you can expect from such a configuration is to let the MSA1000 controller mirror the data on disks distributed over both SCSI busses.'

Does it mean that after i cascade the MSA30DB to my MSA1000, i can see all 14disks on the MSA30DB from my host? The mirror will be IdeaA or IdeaB? (see attached gif file)

Another question is if i can see all 14disks on the MSA30DB after cascading, can i form one disk array with all 14hdds?