1753946 Members
7429 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 disk visible from both servers in Win2000 cluster

Steve Shadbolt
Occasional Contributor

MSA1000 disk visible from both servers in Win2000 cluster

We have a problem with a MSA1000 drive that is visible from both nodes of a Windows 2000 server. The system is set up as a standard Win 2000 cluster running Win 2000 advanced with SP4 we have three Logical drives set up two of which work properly ie only visible from the active server. The only difference I can see with the 3rd drive is that it is quite big - 1.5 TB.

The SSP is also set up with a host mode of Windows, there is another mode which reads "Windows_SP2_AND_" but we can't see whats after the "AND" - should we use this setting?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Profile name = Windows_SP2_and_below
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Is the thrid drive defined as a cluster resource?

The size of the logical disk would not make any difference.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

the shared disk, in a cluster have to be visible from both nodes, it is the cluster service that will manage these disk, and let only one node at a time have access and see the shared disk.
If you are seeing the shared disl from both nodes with cluster service up and runnig, I thing you have some problem with it, or if it is a new installation, probably something go wrong, and you need to reinstall everything

marino
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I should have asked....

Is the thrid drive just visible? or is it accessable by both nodes at the same time.

In some cases, you may see the drive on the non-hosting node, but just the drive with no access to the contents. If you can access the drive from both nodes, then you definitely have a situation. Perhaps the disk is not set up properly as a cluster resource (Physical Disk).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Steve,

The SP2_AND_ is the recommended setting once you have updated to 4.32 fw on the MSA which I'm assuming you have since you have that option.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!