1753349 Members
4873 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1000, expand array?

Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

MSA1000, expand array?

We need to add another logical drive to our current RAID5 array. I've had a look through the various options in the array config utility, but wanted to make sure I was doing it right before making any changes.

I was wondering if someone here could tell me the correct steps to take to add the new drive to the array while keeping all the current data intact.

I wanted the new drive to be part of the RAID5 setup, but be a new logical drive, rather then expand the current logical drives. Can this be doing without affecting any of the data currently on the array?

A screenshot of the current config can be seen here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~zoltrix/extra_drive.gif
5 REPLIES 5
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1000, expand array?

Hi Justin
Attached file is what you need
HP is simple
Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, that document is well detailed in explaining what the different options mean. But it doesn't really outline the steps I need to take in the ACU.

From reading that doco it sounds like I want to go with an Array Capacity Expansion, just wondering what steps in the ACU I should take to do this?
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Justin,

To incorporate the new drive in your RAID 5, your data will need to be restripped across the new drive. Once the expansion is complete, you will have the free space available to extend the size of the existing LUN or create a new LUN.

Your expansion priority setting should be set to medium or higer.

Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info John.

I understand the data will be restriped, etc. But I was wondering what are the correct steps (buttons to click) in the ACU to complete this task?

Eg, do I click the "Unassigned Drive" and then choose the "Configuation Wizard"? Or do I click on the existing array and then select "Expand Array" or "Create Logical Drive"? Just wondering what method I should use to insure the current data is not lost.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Justin:

Expanding the array is rather simple.

First, click on the Array (Array A).

Second, you should see different menu options now on the right side. Click the Expand Array option.

Third, select the drive to use for expansion.

Fourth, click "ok" or "save" or, one of those short 4 letter works meaning "do it now". (not sure of the exact screen, as I do not have an MSA in fron of me.)

Fifth, wait for the expansion to finish. Once finished, the new added space will be available for Logical drive creation or Extension.

Keep in mind that if the new drive is NOT the same size as the existing drives ( meaning that it is bigger then the existing drives) only the smaller of size will be available for configuration. I.E. You have 5 72GB drives in your array. You add a 146GB drive. This increases the array's space by 72GB. To realize the FULL amount, you would have to replace ALL the drives in the array with 146GB drives.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)