1748204 Members
3282 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 low perfomance

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Is Windows set up to enable the write cache?
Mom 6
Alexander_97
Advisor

Write caching on disk enabled.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Alexander,
(~20Mbps), do you mean 20MB/s.

Are you copying from MSA LUN to MSA LUN?

Alexander_97
Advisor

Yes, we tried to copy from-to RAID's10 8&4 disks. 20Mb per second by IOMETER.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

You should expect ~50MB/s.

If you have anti-virus software with realtime protection, you will see performance degradation with copies and backups.

Let me know if it fixes your problem.

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Did you try enabling the "advanced performance"? If you have the server and MSA1000 on a UPS you may wish to use that, but regardless, it might be worth testing.
Mom 6
Alexander_97
Advisor

John, we didn├в t install any antiviral software.
All,
as we were told Moscow HP SERVICE ├в ├в the measured activities are design features of MSA1000. By the way, you will not find anywhere tech data for MSA with MBs benchmarks├в .
That is true, only one doc where got - 30000IOPs. Try to fin
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Interesting.
I can tell you it is not a design feature of the MSA.

The ~50MB/s I stated was from a actual 2G file D2D copy (MSA to MSA LUN). Both drives were RAID 1+0.

Using a DL380G3, Windows 2003. My 2G copy took 40sec.

Right, 30000 IOPS. All array manufacturers quote IOPS and all IOPS are 100%
cache hits. High MB/s depend on your file size. Small transactions, small MB/s but high IOPS. Large transactions, large MB/s but low IOPS. Databases are small transaction typically 8k.

If you have the time, can we make sure we are comparing the same numbers. Let's create a 2G file. Find a directory for the file. At a cmd prompt Enter the following,
fsutil file createnew c:\yourdir\test.txt 2147483648. Open your clock and just time the copy from one lun to the other.

Alexander_97
Advisor

John,
we did as you told. Found out amazing results - 25 sec., But Perf monitor does not show any READ disk activity. Earlier we copied real database arh file. First we copied it to the source disk, reloaded server and storage (to flush cache) and then started copy to target disk. (see atth). We will try to make our exe once more on weekend. I`ll reply on monday.

[teplov][karatsc][ru]
Alexander_97
Advisor

John,
We did as you told. Found out amazing results - 25 sec., But Perf monitor does not show any READ disk activity. Earlier we copied real database arh file. First we copied it to the source disk, reloaded server and storage (to flush cache) and then started copy to target disk. (see atth). We will try to make our exe once more on weekend. I`ll reply on monday.

[teplov][karatsc][ru]