108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 on HP-UX 11.00

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rajasekhar Raman
Frequent Advisor

MSA1000 on HP-UX 11.00

Will an MSA1000 array work as a DAS on HP-UX 11.00 box? We are currently looking into one. The solution seems to lend itself to a great degree of scalability. One that fits into our budget and plans for future expansion. We intend to upgrade the OS to 11.11 sometime mid-year but currently are really in need for a fault-tolerant storage array which can be of later use if we choose to upgrade to a SAN.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to the specifications

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11033_div/11033_div.html

HP-UX 11.0 is not supported. Unless somebody else has tried it already and especially if there are problems, you are on your own.

You can make a direct connection through a fibre channel I/O module, if that is what you mean by 'DAS'. Direct Attached Storage usually implies the use of parallel SCSI, but the 'direct connection' I am talking about still needs a fibre channel adapter (you will run FC_AL protocoll in that case).
Rajasekhar Raman
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your answer. I have another question which is related to my original one. What if the MSA1000 were connected to a SAN switch. Would I then be able to utilize it from my HP-UX 11.00 server (which does have a Fibre I/O card on it )

-Shekar
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, HP-UX 11.0 is not supported in any way, whatever you choose as an interconnect, sorry :-(
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hello,

just to add that you would only be able to use one Fibrechannel adapter connected to one MSA controller (via 1 I/O Module and/or 1 switch). In the supported versions of HP-UX, the MSA is currently only supported in single-controller configurations. So it will only have limited fault-tolerance (disks, power supplies). No redundant MSA controllers, FC adpaters or paths are supported.

Regards,
Stephen
Stephen Nelson
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know WHEN there will be a fix for this??? i.e. the support for dual redundant controllers????? We have all of the above mentioned needs, but really need the fail over in the controller also...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

From discussions, I got the impression that the MSA engineers are working on active/active controllers in the style of VA or XP arrays, meaning that one can do I/Os over both controllers. That would mean that one can use PVLINKS and does not need to buy Secure Path.

Of course that's a bit more work then a "simple" controller failover support via Secure path. On the timing? I don't know and I don't give anything about "unofficial" information. Almost every date for a new feature I have been told since the introduction of the MSA1000 so far turned out to be wrong :-(