108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 with HP-UX?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe Short
Super Advisor

MSA1000 with HP-UX?

I have an MSA1000 that I have configured with (31) 10 GB RAID 1+0 LUNs using a Windows Proliant DL360. I have turned Selective Storage Presentation off. What do I need to do to get the LUNs recognized by my HP-UX 11.11 server beside connect the fiber channel cable to the fiber channel card and run ioscan?
8 REPLIES 8
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi joe,

This is not possible.
HPUX is only possible with a single controller on an MSA1000 and another firmware

See also

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11033_div/11033_div.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00096723/c00096723.pdf
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You need to assign the correct operating system profile (HP) to the connection entries for the HP-UX system.
Dennis Faucher
Advisor

Hello,

I am not sure if the reply stating a special firmware is valid any longer. The latest firware link at

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/softwaredrivers/msa1000/msa1k_intel.html

states "MSA1000 Firmware Upgrade v4.48 is the current version of firmware shipping on new arrays from the factory. This release offers support of HP-UX (homogeneous support only, prior single controller configuration limitations still apply), with support for Windows, Linux, NetWare, and homogeneous support of Tru64 UNIX and OpenVMS." I am working with Joe Short on this project and the array is running the 4.48 firmware version.

I believe the note in the installation notes stating "A minimum of one storage LUN on the MSA1000 must be configured and set to the
HP-UX host mode before connecting the MSA1000 to the HP-UX server" is only valid when using Selective Storage Presentation. Thank you in advance for any comments.

Sincerely,
Dennis Faucher.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> "A minimum of one storage LUN on the MSA1000 must be configured and
> set to the HP-UX host mode before connecting the MSA1000 to the HP-UX
> server"

That sentence is very confusing at least.

A "storage LUN" is a "logical disk", but you cannot assign a host mode to it. The proper object is called a "connection" which is a mechanism to describe the adapter's WWN and the host mode.

A connection is automatically created once the MSA and the host's Fibre Channel adapter start talking to each other and the host mode need to be changed afterwards. You can also make an initial entry manually.

In both situation the command is like this:
CLI> add connection SYS1_1 wwpn=10000000-C93Eabcd profile=HP

I suggest a server reboot in case the connection was automatically created and the profile (host mode) been changed.
Dennis Faucher
Advisor
Solution

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I just spoke to the HP Response Center. They said that the connection might work without going into the CLI, but no promises. I will find the correct 259992-001 cable and get ready to do the CLI> ADD CONNECTION ABC WWPN=12345678-12345678 PROFILE=HP command from a serial terminal emulator.

Sincerely,
Dennis Faucher.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is a significant difference between the HP and other profiles - HP-UX is the only operating system I am aware that uses "volume set addressing". The storage array must know this in order to accomodate HP-UX, else, a typical problem is that the server can't see any LUN > 7.

Other operating systems have their own requirements - from my experience I *always* make sure that the proper 'host mode' is set. I have seen LUNs that were not accessible at all, I have reports from a customer whose big SAP system crashed due to a wrong setting (no, it wasn't set up by me - phew ;-).
Bob_Vance
Esteemed Contributor

You can also change the connection profile via the ACU GUI (in SSP), if you can't find the serial cable.

I guess that you are moving the array from a
Windows box to an HPUX box?

In any case,
... enable SSP
... change the connection profile to HP
... exit and save.

This will change the Profiles, but temporarily the box will see no LUNs.
Then
... disable SSP
... save

The connection profiles will stay set to HP.

Then find the new devices:

# ioscan
# insf -e
# ioscan -fnCdisk

hth
bv
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer
Joe Short
Super Advisor

Thread Closed.