Disk Enclosures
1748027 Members
4763 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500 cs with and MSA30 and MSA20 connected.....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Girardy
Advisor

MSA1500 cs with and MSA30 and MSA20 connected.....

Hi,
I have a blade center connected to a SAN through 2 SAN Switches.
My controller is an MSA 1500cs and I have 2 chassis connected to it.
I have just updated my firmwares with the latest version (6.86 for the MSA1500cs and 5.20 for the MSA20). This is supposed to give me an active/active configuration.
I have restarted my servers and it's asking me for a COMPAQ MSA CONTROLLER SCSI Array Device driver that I cannot find anywhere on the Support CD v 7.57 or on HP's site....
This doesn't bother the servers to use their respective SAN volumes but I cannot use ACU to manage the volumes as it doesn't see the MSA controller.
Of course, I have updated all the drivers and Bios and installed PSP 7.51....
My servers are using Windows Server 2003 SP1 US version and up-to-date to the latest patches.

I really don't know what to do.
Can anyone help me please ?

Thanks
See the atached file to illustrate what I say.
17 REPLIES 17
Girardy
Advisor

Re: MSA1500 cs with and MSA30 and MSA20 connected.....

I have to precise that I don't have any zoning on my switches and before the firmware upgrade, I didn't have any problem to see the controllers.... apart the crashes problems and constant I2C problems..... Which I really hope this firmware upgrade will definitely solve
Girardy
Advisor

And I also updated MPIO with the one provided on the ISO CD v7.57
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor
Solution

Girardy,

Set your host profile. Since ACU can't see the system you will need to use the cli cable.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

If you set SSP and used the "default" setting for the HOST profile then you will see this problem.

Using CLI, set you host profile to the appropriate OS. With A/A, default is no longer windows default.

The only other way around the problem is back rev your controller and reset your SSP host profile, then go back to windows
Girardy
Advisor

OK, I see what you mean... what are the commands I have to pass to change the profile via the CLI interface ??

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> ADD CONNECTION con_name WWPN=.... PROFILE=...

You can check with:

> SHOW CONNECTIONS
Girardy
Advisor

Thanks all for your help.
It worked.
I'm really happy to see there are people that are still willing to help.

Thanks again
SysAdminGuy
Advisor

Please can you confirm a few things for me from this post.

You mentioned a CLI cable. Does this mean using a laptop and connecting directly into the MSA1500 controller I/O port.

For the command below please can you explain what a profile is. When we run the command from the ACU CLI and show SSP it looks if the profile is set correctly and the on our setup we have the Connection Name and Host Mode set correctly for a single configured device.

In the ACU CLI install on the host server the following commands do not work. What is the proper syntax?

"ADD CONNECTION con_name WWPN=.... PROFILE=...

You can check with:

> SHOW CONNECTIONS "
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can use a laptop or any server that has a teminal emulator installed. I try to make sure that 'HyperTerm' is installed on all servers.

About the connection profile:
many operating systems have their own idea what answer they expect from a storage array in certain, specific situations like failovers. The profile is a bitmask which tells the controller software what OS is behind a specific WWN and how to act properly. Do a:
CLI> show profile
and I am sure you will get an idea.

About the ACU CLI: I am sorry, but I have not worked with it yet. I hope somebody else can help.