5018 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500 failed disk rebuild slow

littlepig_1
Occasional Contributor

MSA1500 failed disk rebuild slow

Hi,
Recently 1 of our MSA1500 San disk failed, and it auto rebuild using the space disk. But when we get the replacement hardisk and replaced the failed hardisk while the SAN still rebuilding using the space hardisk, our Oracle database become extremely slow and I found out it's due to the SAN drive used by Oracle. I had no choice and shutdown the database forcely because it start unresponsive.
We found that when we have extensive IO to the drive(eg. copy some huge file from the drive), system become very slow.

Is anyone have this kind of experience?
Is it correct to replace the faulty hardisk while controller still in rebuilding process?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500 failed disk rebuild slow

hi,

unfortunately you will have to be patient while it rebuilds, this will impact performance, i think it's about 15 mins a gb so base your calculations on that for completion time.

hth

littlepig_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I know the disk performance will be impacted while SAN doing rebuild, but how can it be that great? Like what I say, I tried copy out a 70MB file...and it took about 1 hour.
Do you think it's normal?

Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

No that sounds indeed too slow even with the highest rebuild priority.
Can you confirm that the copy was the only IO to the MSA at the time of benchmarking?