1753481 Members
4505 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

MSA1500 online LUN creation problem

Dusan Vidovic_1
Advisor

MSA1500 online LUN creation problem

I have a MSA1500 with 14 HDDs in array in MSA30 with 2 LUNs already created (which are used by 2 servers in cluster config -W2003 MSCS). Planning on adding new servers and wanted to create new LUNs from the empty space. However, after clicking "create" ACU was frozen (as well as the MSA1500), and the other server in cluster(running SQL2000) did not execute a single transaction. Tried restarting the server with ACU freeze, but the MSA1500 remained frozen. Eentually, after the default time, the MSA controller failed to the other one, and the system resumed working. Since it is a non-stop busy system (no free tme slots), I can't put the system offline. The MSA has the latest firmware (April 2005), the ACU is post 7.30. Any suggestions?
1 REPLY 1
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500 online LUN creation problem

I think the best thing to do would be to restart the MSA. Just to make sure there is nothing wrong.

I undertsand what "non-stop" means, but there must be some plan in place for general maintanance for this type of system. Being an Entry Level Storage Subsystem, there is no way to recycle components individually on an as needed basis. If you need a rue non-stop environment, you should start considering data replication and/or mid tier Storage Systems offering more functionality that does not inturrupt the operation of the rest of your environment.

The freeze up could have just been a fluke occurance and may never happen again. I would feel safer with a full reboot of the subsystem.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)