1753482 Members
4142 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA1500cs and Windows Server 2008

gothicreader

MSA1500cs and Windows Server 2008

Hi,
I'm able to see the LUN via the HBA (LP11002), but the ACU is reporting that no physical drives are present.
The ACU sees the array controller, but I'm getting status message #267 that there are no drives present.

I'm being told that Windows 2008 is not supported with MSA1500cs, but I should at least be able to see the drives, right?

Thank you for your support.
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA1500cs and Windows Server 2008

Hi,
Both windows 2008 - 32bit and 2008 ext system 64-bit are supported
Check if the selective storage presentation is not enabled and not defined pls
the pain is one part of the reality
Judy Wick
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding your question about "check if the presentation storage" is present.
Please note that Secure Path 4.0 SP3 is not compatible with W2K8, and I haven't installed the MPIO DSM full feature, since I was told this is to deal with multi-path, which I'm assuming it's to handle load and performance when connecting to various arrays.
I apologies for my ignorance, but I'm a newbie in this, and my team and I are trying to set up this MSA in our lab environment.

Again, thank you for your support.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1. There is a feature of the MSA which is called the Sellective storage presentation (SSP).
If it is not enabled all the hosts see all the disks. But if you want to assign the sellected disks only to the appropriate hosts, then it is done via the SSP. Check if it is enabled or disabled. If it is enabled and no disks are presented to your host, then you can see nothing.
2. Yes, only active/active configuration is supported for Windows 2008 (the controller firmware should be 7.00)
3. The DSM driver should be installed if you have e.g. 2 contorollers in your MSA, because otherwise you will see 2 disks instead of 1
4. Your HBA (LP11002) should be
Storport miniport 5-2.01a4 or older 5-2.00a12, your HBA firmware should be 2.72a2 and HBA BIOS should be 2.01a2 (5.03a0) or 1.71a0 (5.02a1)
Judy Wick
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
Unfortunately, I didn't see this feature (SSP) in the MSA, and looking at the list of codes - this is not available. (Again, my ignorance)

As for updating the firmware of the MSA, I need to obtain the latest firmware, however HP's firmware Cd 8.10 only shows the firmware for a selective drives and not the MSA. At least this is the impression I got when I selected the MSA 1500cs from the list of firwmare.

The HBA has the latest firmware as you specified below.

Although, I don't have the latest controller firmware updated, are you suggesting that I still install the DSM?

Thank you for your support.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
you need to have dual controllers for the active/active controllers operation for the Windows 2008 (HP supported). Therefore you then need the DSM on the host side. But if this is not a case, you can check the current controller firmware via the ACU utility and if its Active/Passive or only one controller there, you can access your logical disks via the W2k3 system.