108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ...MSA20 data rescue...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Earl_J
Advisor

I've received enough information and advice to close the thread an move on.
1 - We'll look at Server 2003 re-installation again;
2 - We'll wait for feedback from Microsoft forums on how much data we can expect to lose;
3 - We'll consider the Ubuntu solution for capturing the data...

Thanks again to everyone - even if you didn't offer any solutions - for considering our situation and for taking the time to briefly ponder a solution for us.

Until that time ... Earl J.

Please excuse my generous (and erroneous) attitude toward the point system... I'll get better at it... really...
I don't remember being this forgetful when I was younger...
Earl_J
Advisor

The ML370G4 has been replaced with a DL380G6.
We have the proper HP interface card to employ between the HP DL380G6 and our HP MSA20.
We eventually had to use File Recovery by LSoft to rescue all our data... it did an excellent job and was very inexpensive.
_ _ _
The HP interface card arrived without any drivers. I imagine it will install with the configuration utility. We'll see before long.
_ _ _
The plan is to install the card into a DL380G6; connect it to the MSA20; and reconfigure the entire setup before we reinstall the rescued data...
I'll come back in a few days with a final wrapup.

Earl_J
Advisor

Well,
never did get a response from MS about how much is "some data loss" ... we went ahead and lost "most" of it... (sigh) we then moved to a rescue operation and found Active@File Recovery from LMSoft most useful for much, much less than we expected to pay for such a wonderful tool.
_ _ _
The data is recovered.
_ _ _
We moved to the new server HP DL380G6; installed the new HP UltraSCSI interface card that arrived without a driver disk; we connected the HP MSA20 and turned it on first; and then we booted the DL380G6.
Nothing happened.
The Windows started up and did not recognize the interface card or the MSA20 storage.
_ _ _
I used the HP boot disk with the management v. 8.30 software package on it.
The ACU does not recognize the card or the MSA20 either. It appears to recognize the riser card and that the slot 2 is occupied, but will not recognize the interface card or the 12 TB MSA20 we have attached through the interface card.

Any suggestions?

Earl_J
Advisor

Installed the interface card; the DL380G6 will not recognize it... or the MSA20 either.
I booted from the HP ACU disk with v. 8.30 of the SmartStart program... will recognize that the controller card (riser card) is populated on slot 2, but will not ID the HP interface card.

I've booted the server with the MSA on and connected to see if it will accept it... nope. I tried turning it off and then back on again to see if the server will recognize it that way... nope.

I guess I'll try HP tech svc on MON...

Earl_J
Advisor

closing it ... exhausted the options ... moving on.