Disk Enclosures
1752304 Members
4631 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA20 drives support!!!

Pablo Cruz

To you guys that have the MSA 20 running with 1.5's and 2 TBs...

Can you guys share what firmware you're running? Any problems upgrading that I should look out for?

I am running an HP MSA20 connected to a host (HP ProLiant DL360 G4p) machine via SCSI interface and HP Smart Array 6404/256 controller

I have yet to upgrade the firmware but I really need to expand to 2 TB's and I'll be flying to LA to do it. Wanted to be sure it'll take the 2 TB's.

Thanks in advance!
kmartind_1

It's clear that there are some people using 1.5TB drives in MSA20s with success, but can anyone confirm they have been able to use 2TB disks? (or confirm that it doesn't work if that's the case).
fatboy1271

I see that this is an old post, but I am about to order 2TB drives for our two MSA20s. Is there confirmation on whether the MSA20s will take them? Also, if the MSA20 will take 2TB drives is it then safe to assume (...) that the MSA30s will take 2TB drives as well?

Thanks

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The MSA30 is a parallel-SCSI disk drive enclosure without any embedded RAID controller.

As far as I know, no 2 TeraByte parallel-SCSI disk drives do exist - and won't as the market has gone to SAS.

Bax

Just happened to read this post with intention to plug in a Hitachi 2TB SATA drive to a MSA1500/MSA20/60 combo. 2.0TB SATA drive is present in the ACU and is now RAID'able!.  BTW~ I am stoked!

Supportable?!?..... who knows as of today, but worth the risk for this (my) instance.

Unassigned Drives  2000.3 GB SATA Logical Drive at Box 7 : Bay 11

Controller Status OK Controller MSA1000 Controller Serial Number XXXXXXXXXXX Bus Interface Fibre Channel Chassis Slot 1 RAID 6 (ADG) Status Enabled Firmware Version 7.00 Number of Ports 4 Redundant State Active Redundancy Status OK

todd bailey
Advisor

so here is it a few months later and I'm in the same boat.

But now there exists 1, 1.5, 2 and even 3 tb drives.

Has any one tried the 2 and 3 tb drives with any success?

my future config   msa20 connected to a sa 6404 512 cache 64 bit linux

I was thinking 4 to 6 drives in a a raid adg (raid 6) for ea logical drive

additionally, would switching from a single to a dual interface buy us anything?

Alan Malik
Occasional Visitor

Hello, we have a MSA20 with 12 x 2TB HDD's in it and is working fine.

We have also installed a SA 6402 PCI-X card into a DL180 G6 Server so we can now get rid of our DL380 G4. Getting the PCI-X riser is difficult though as HP stopped making them...

hairystuff
Occasional Advisor

I've added 12x 2Tb seagate hdds and they do show up, the catch is you can only use 1.8Tb of the 2.OTb storage availiable.
hairystuff
Occasional Advisor

The catch is you can only use 1.8Tb of the 2.OTb storage availiable, atleast thats what I noticed when I use 2Tb Seagate drives.
dj_scout
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Could you tell me please vendor name and model of 2 TB hard drive you installed?

2 TB max lun size mean that I must use sofware raid to make my array redunant?

Could anyone (who use 2 TB drives) show output of "hpacucli ctrl all show config detail" commad?