6297 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: MSA2000 G2 - messed up volume mappings

markus-d
Occasional Visitor

MSA2000 G2 - messed up volume mappings

Hi

We have a MSA2324i with two controllers which we use as iSCSI storage for two ESX hosts.

Last week controller A crashed and was replaced. There we noticed that the volume mapping information on the "healthy" controller B is somehow inconsistent. This causes the volumes to be unavailable when controller A boots up and tries to take over the mapping information.

Is there a way to reset the volume-mapping information or delete single entries on controller B?

The problem is the configuration can not be edited via the Web-GUI because of the faulty entries.

Command "show volume-maps" displays something like this where you can see the messed up entries which I would like to delete:

Volume View [Serial Number (00c0ffda7fe800001234567801000000) Name (vdisk02_v001) ] Mapping:
   Ports       LUN   Access       Host-Port-Identifier                       Nickname      Profile
   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   A1,A2,B1,B2 2     read-write   4
                                   #                                       XÐàkß     Standard
   A1,A2,B1,B2 2     read-write   4
                                   #                                       XÐàkß     Standard
   A1,A2,B1,B2 2     read-write   iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esxhost2-6c01a012 esxhost2_sw Standard
   A1,A2,B1,B2 2     read-write   iqn.1998-01.com.vmware:esxhost1-40200ea4 esxhost1_sw Standard
                     not-mapped   all other hosts                                          Standard

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks

Markus

5 REPLIES 5
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Please, refer to HP P2000 G3 MSA System CLI Reference Guide Page Number 336 for commands to unmap volume. :)

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
markus-d
Occasional Visitor

AnkitM, thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I think my question was not precise enough.

I'd like to know how to remove all explicit mappings of a volume to get rid of the inconsistent ones.

I have seen that there is an unmap command on CLI.

Unfortunately I cannot address the host name to unmap the explicit mapping.

To remove explicit mappings the host name is required but in our case the host name is some kind of unreadable characters, spaces etc. (as shown in the volume mapping table in my first post)

On the P2000 WebGUI there would be the option to remove all mappings for a volume (right click vDisk --> Provisioning --> Unmap volume). But I do have a MSA2000 G2 which does not have this option :(

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

>> But I do have a MSA2000 G2 which does not have this option :(

Not exactly sure, but this could depend on the firmware. What version is running?

I think it should be M114R01.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
markus-d
Occasional Visitor

Yes, I have M114R01 installed, but the unmap option in the GUI for a complete volume is not available

AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

Is this storage unit covered under a contract? If yes, I don't mind looking at it.

In the mean time, try writing the Host name in quotes (") and use unmap command to see if it works. 

If not, over top of my head I can think of renaming the host or upgrading the firmware.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.