1748097 Members
5932 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA2000fc shows unallocated drives

Nasim Shamailov

MSA2000fc shows unallocated drives

Hi all.
We have MSA2012fc+msa2000I/O with total of 24 disks (thre virtual disks) attached to HP DL580G5 server via FO channel to P0.
For many months it worked normally, but recently I wanted to connect to this MSA from our backup server to get data for backup directly for speed. For that I install FC controller on second server and connected it to MSA to P1. I could see the drives on the second server without drive letters assigned to it. So I postponned the configuration until I can get better understanding of how to do it properly.
But two night ago we had to restart our first server that hosted MSA originally. After restart all drives from MSA were lost/not present. OS disk management shows them as unalocated, plus it also shows one disk as missing even thou it's already shown that same virtual disk in other position.
As follow:
Disk 7 - unallocated 1600GB
Disk 8 - unallocated 410GB
Disk 9 - unallocatde 2000GB+700GB
Missing - 2700GB
SMU shows that everything is normal disks are there and VD names still the same.
I, of-course, disconnected FO from the second server and try to recicle power on all the environment, but nothing helped.
I tried to connect MSA to only second server - same results - all drives are "unallocated".
At this point I've restarted all 6 or 7 times with no results to the point that one of the drived in RAID6 array failed and need replacement.
After replacing this drive and restoring the array I will continue troubleshooting, but frankly I kinda running out of options.
Help is greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Nasim Shamailov

Correct attachment is posted.
Nasim Shamailov

So much for the smart tank.
Is there anyone who can help me with this problem.
It is Windows2003 R2x64.
Msa2012 J200p30 + Msa2000I/O wich I was unable to upgrade firmware on with cp010335.exe patch.
And I will attach SMU logs that I extracted form it yesterday. Maybe someone can look throught it and see the problem.
Ravi_Shankar
Frequent Advisor

I would suggest you to log a case with HP , since sometime you need specail tools to analyse the logs.
Nasim Shamailov

I did, The guy from HP isd actually sits next to me now.
We are rebuilding the failed array now, and then continue reviving array.
Also my associates use the R-Studio tools.
http://www.r-studio.com/#local
They are able to see the data and possibly copy it over to off-site disk-space.
We might end up simply rebuilding MSA arrays rather than recovering it.