4118 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA2312fc and OVMS Alpha

W.Nicol
Advisor

MSA2312fc and OVMS Alpha

Hi,
we tried to connect an MSA2312fc via a Switch to an AlphaServer DS20 running OpenVMS 8.4.
In the console of the Alpha using wwidmgr the presented Disk from the MSA is shown with a UDID: [-1]. This means that the OS Unit ID is not correct passed from the MSA to the Alpha. Without an this UDID OpenVMS is not able to seen this Disk.
Controller Code Version: M111R06
Loader Code Version: 19.009
Any Hints for us?
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA2312fc and OVMS Alpha

Here is the customer advisory I was talking about (on the phone):

c01984768 - HP StorageWorks MSA2000 G2 - How to Create an OpenVMS LUN

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01984768
W.Nicol
Advisor

Thank you, but this does not help, because this is what we have done before. But the Alpha does not see the UDID other than
with -1.
Hint: there is an Error within this Advisory:
In the secnd Picture seen LUN* where is written "vms_lun1". There are only numbers allowed.

By the way, any other help?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I never had the ?fun? playing with this configuration, but:

What did you enter in the "LUN*" field?
From my understanding you have to enter the OpenVMS unit number (e.g. 77 -> $1$DGA77) into the field "OpenVMS volume UID" and enter the !!LUN address!! that the MSA volume is to be mapped to into the "LUN*" field. I would start with "1" for the first disk.
W.Nicol
Advisor

oh yes, we did that.
we created a few disk with differened numbers.
we can see the wwid of this disk in the wwidmgr from tha alpha, but additional to the Item number the udid to the disks always shown with the value of -1.
I had a similar problem some time ago with an DS10 and an EVA3000. There was lately the solution a change of the Alpha FW and the corresponding FW of the HBA.
W.Nicol
Advisor

Got it working under OpenVMS V8.2 without boot support. Looks fine.
But it does not work with OpenVMS 8.4 on the Alpha.
I will close this thread and open a new one in OpenVMS Forum.
W.Nicol
Advisor

se reply before.