5597 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re:HP P2000 G3 MSA Array Systems Unable to communicate with storage controller

mmaster
Occasional Contributor

MSA2324fc Unable to communicate with storage controller

hello,
we use a msa2324fc with 2 controllers. The disks are runnig fine but we are not able to configure anything anymore. Via SMU we get "The system is currently unavailable" and cli can't execute any config commands we get "Unable to communicate with Storage Controller. Please retry the command." Also we are not able to do restart SC and rescan doesn't help too.
The attached show configuration output looks very strange.
Any how we can solve the issue without any downtime?
10 REPLIES 10
kunalsahoo
Valued Contributor

Re: MSA2324fc Unable to communicate with storage controller

Hi,
have you tried from both controllers management port ?
if all done only option left is to reboot the master controller :( ...if not grace fully im afraid forcefully.....
rw_pc
Occasional Advisor

How to reboot the master controller forcefully?

We are in a similar situation and nothing seems to be working for us.

We are getting the foll. errors:

Error: Communications Error with Storage Controller (-2194) - Could not read SAS info, so skipping enclosure 0.

Error: Communications Error with Storage Controller (-2194) - Could not read SAS info, so skipping enclosure 0.

The command, "restore defaults" is also failing.

Thanks.

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

You can connect to the controller via serial port and restart it.

Refer the document : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c03153230

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
rw_pc
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Hari.

Right. You meant the Management Controller. We already did that. It restarts but the status remains same.

We are nto able to connect via the Serial interface (either we are using a wrong cable or some other problem). But we are able to connect via the IP (ssh interface) and restarted from there.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Vitek
Advisor

Hi!
I have same problem. One of our customers had msa2324fc with only one controller in main shelf. They just bought it without installation service. And they can't to start it. They unable to manage it via management interface. And when they log in to cli, they have same output from show configuration as mmaster attached
BANYA
Occasional Visitor

Re:HP P2000 G3 MSA Array Systems Unable to communicate with storage controller

Hello Bodys!

I am facing a problem with HP P2000 G3 MSA System Array Enclosure, I cant login through SMU at all, but through telnet and CLI it is possible to login but I cant comunicate with the SAS Enclosure array. In CLI its possible to run commands which works only with the controller, but when I tryed commands which needs to communicate with the Enclosure it gives an error.

I have only one controller connected on module A, the module B is empty. Trying to login throug SMU, it fails and say           Unable to Authenticate Login, Try again.
While throug CLI I managed to login but the problem is to access the enclosure: P2000 G3 iSCSI MSA Array System.  Please I need help on how to get out of this.  I am connecting the storage with my laptop using mini USB port and using CLI.

Ivan.

Pierfram

Re: Re:HP P2000 G3 MSA Array Systems Unable to communicate with storage controller

Hello,

Just had the same problem after electrical problem and several unexpected reboots in our server room.

symptoms:

-impossible to log on top controler (mgmt controler down)

-possible to log on botom controler via SSH but Unable to communicate with storage controller

-connected servers unable to access on volumes on the storage bay

-reboot of the storage bay does not fix the issue

resolution:

-switch off the storage bay

-removed the top controler

-started again the storage bay

-now i was able to log on the bottom controler (via SMU).

-I had to dequarantine the  vdisks.

-next step is to call support to change the top controler.

good luck and dont panic.

WilliamReed
Advisor

Re: Re:HP P2000 G3 MSA Array Systems Unable to communicate with storage controller

I just had the same issue and I did this to resolve.

Power down array.

Pull out top controller

Power up array.

I was able to access SMU and see my drives and LUNs now. (Whew!)

Insert top controller

After that everything was happy.

CCCX
Occasional Visitor

Same probleme with firmware update (251P0004-02)

ctrl B is ok, ctrl A failed and no communication with SC after

restart SC doesn t work and always this error

Remove controler and re plug ok