4598 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA30 dual-bus I/O modual attached to a MSA1500cs

sputnix
Frequent Advisor

MSA30 dual-bus I/O modual attached to a MSA1500cs

Hi,

a customer has attached a MSA30 with a dual-bus I/O module to a MSA1500cs.
He will extend the system with another MSA30 actually direct attached to a Proliant Server.
This second MSA30 although has a dual-bus I/O module.
Is this supported to attache the second MSA30 to the SCSI-buses 2 and 3 of the MSA1500cs?
I could only find some informations in the quickspecs that two MSA30 with dual-bus I/O modules are supported, but nothing how to cable it.

What happens if the customer wants to extend the MSA1500cs with a third enclosure. Is it possible to "downgrad" the I/O module to single bus, by only replacing the I/O module or do the costumer need new enclosures? Do the MSA30 with a dual-bus I/O module although work with a single-bus I/O module and 14 disks are present? Or do the customer only will see half of the disk?

thx for answers
andreas

3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA30 dual-bus I/O modual attached to a MSA1500cs

Andreas,

You can attach upto 4 x MSA30's to a MSA1500cs.

Using ports 'A' across all four SCSI I/O modules on the rear of the MSA1500cs.

You can always change the SCSI I/O modules on the MSA30's from DB to SB.

I think from memory if you only connect up one half of a DB module, you only see half (7) of the disks in the enclosure.

Hope this helps,

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Andreas,
You need two "Dual Channel SCSI I/O Module" PN AA988A, to connect MSA30 DB to msa1500. "Dual channel" in this case NOT means that, you can connect 2 SCSI channels.
ONLY one per this I/O module is supported.
In other words - to msa1500 you can connect up to (with 4 I/O modules) 8 msa20 enclosures, or up to 4 msa30 SB or up to 2 msa30 DB. You can connect only one SCSI channel per I/O module.

Yes, it is possible to replace DB I/O module with SB one. Customer will see all 14 disk drives.

regards,
Andrzej Kowalik
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

thx for your help!
kind regards andreas