108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA30DB with HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s

SOLVED
Go to solution
Petrus

MSA30DB with HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s

Hi,
I need some help: I've got a HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s (internal storage) - Win2003 Appliance Edition - and I'd like to increase server capacity because internal storage slots are full; I only need storage... Also I have a Proliant DL360G4 server that also needs more storage. I've seen that MSA30DB has 2 buses. So, it's a good idea to use one bus for the NAS2000s and the other bus for the Proliant Server?

Thanks!

Petrus
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA30DB with HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s

Petrus:

What you want to do is "doable". Is it a good idea though? To save on cost, sure it is. To maximize performance and maximize your ROI, no so much a good idea.

You'd be limiting yourself to 7 drives per server, making upgrading in the future harder/more costly (time and money), etc.

Just my opinion.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Petrus

Thanks Steven,

You're right... I have, then, 2 problems:

1.- Our NAS2000s needs more storage. Perhaps it's a good idea to use MSA30SB only for growing the NAS storage, how do you see it? Will it be easier this way for a future upgrade?

2.- Well, in fact I still don't have the proliant server, but we need one for scientific calcs that dump a huge quantity of data... Better to get a bigger server with more internal storage?

Thanks,

Petrus
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

1.- Our NAS2000s needs more storage. Perhaps it's a good idea to use MSA30SB only for growing the NAS storage, how do you see it? Will it be easier this way for a future upgrade?

I am not toally familiar with current NAS models. The 2000 is similar to a DL380? The cost effective upgrade would be to get a MSA30SB. If you get the DB, you would need another Smart Array Controller. For future disk upgrades, you'd be able to easily expand your arrays up to 14 drives.

2.- Well, in fact I still don't have the proliant server, but we need one for scientific calcs that dump a huge quantity of data... Better to get a bigger server with more internal storage? This depends on your needs for data storage AND calculation power. The Dl380 probably offers the best storage capacity, but only has 2 CPU's. The 580 offers 4 CPU's but less total internal capacity. Either way, if you need more than @900GB (Assuming 4 300GB in an array with 1 RAID5 Logical drive), then you might need an external cabinet as well.

Another option to look at here would be an MSA1000 or an MSA1500. You can easily add more storage as needed to any systems attached. Yes, cost has just increased initially, but over the long term, you would not need to buy any more local storage for any servers you attach.

You would really have to need it though probably to get funding. For just 2 systems, I probably would not try for an MSA1k/1.5k. If you knew you needed 4 more servers that needed lots of storage, then that might warrant the need.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)