3469 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSCS + NetRAID & Quorum disks

Francesco Tamba
Advisor

MSCS + NetRAID & Quorum disks

Hi all,
it's been a while that i'm not able to have an answer about the following.
In all HP MS Cluster Server (both NTEE/2000AS)Configuration Guide it semms that the only configuration supported by HP is with only 1 logical drive for each RAID hw. So for the quorum resource (MS suggests at maximum a 500MB partition) you have to dedicated a couple of 9GB hd in a RAID1 configuration. Why?
What's the techical reason for doing this?
2 REPLIES 2
Francesco Tamba
Advisor

Re: MSCS + NetRAID & Quorum disks

I've to add this: in all HP Cluster Configuration Guide for Fibre Channel models there isn't such limmitation.
Is it a problem with a time-out that other resources on the same physical disk can lead to the quorum in case of failover?
RAMY NAGUIB
Frequent Advisor

Re: MSCS + NetRAID & Quorum disks

The technical reason is:
1-You have to seperate the Quorum drive from any other drives .
2-to separate it you create a logical volume for it
3-Since in clustering each logical volume should be contained in a seperate array "so that in case of failover the logical will fail taking with it the physical one and all its contenets so preferably it should have only one logical volume.
4-Since to be able toimplement this we need a H/W mirror of 2 disks and having this mirror as a one logical volume for quorum ,so we use the smallest Disks available "unfortunately the smallest HP disk is 9GB" .But let's say we have drives of 1GB only then we can use it in a mirror configuration for the quorum.
I know it's a waste but clustering is used for increased availability so you should have generous budget for it.
Hope this clarifies this issue for you
Best Of lock