1752782 Members
6433 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Migrate from a single drive to RAID 1

Mike Celone
Frequent Advisor

Migrate from a single drive to RAID 1

We have a Proliant 1600 that is using the onboard SCSI controller and a single 18.2GB disk. We are going to put a SmartArray 3200 in this server and would like to add a second drive and mirror the first one. Can the 3200 go from a single drive to RAID 1 without destroying the original drive? I'd rather not reinstall everything on the server if I don't have to.
Mike
5 REPLIES 5
Bradley King
Advisor

The smart array 3200 does have the raid migration feature if you have loaded the latest HP Array Configuration Utility. You can upgrade the onboard controller with the 3200 without any problem.
Back up the data first though.
Mike Celone
Frequent Advisor

Can you use the ACU that is included on the bootable SmartStart CD or do you have to install it onto the operating system (Win2k Server) you have loaded on the machine?

Thanks for the quick response!
Mike
Bradley King
Advisor

I would use the ACU from the OS as I don't think that it is an option with the smartstart boot. You can also change the rebuild priority to speed things up.
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

I don't think this will work. If I'm right this single disk is now connected to the normal onboard scsi controller.
If you move the disk to the 3200 controller. It will recognize the disk, but not the logical volume(s) on it.

Leon
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

HI
I agree with Leon, You can migrate from single disk raid 0 to a raid 1,
But if the disk was on a standard scsi, you do not have a raid level from wich migrate to another.