5416 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Migrating single disk to raid 1

-Fredrik Persson-
Occasional Contributor

Migrating single disk to raid 1

Hey

Is it possible to migrate a single disk installation connected to a SCSI card to a HP Smart array 641 and a RAID1?

I accualy just tried this by connecting the single disk to the raid controler and created an array and a logical drive. This failed bigtime and now I have a blank disk :)but fortualy I have a ghost image.

My plan was to add another disk to the array and then expand it.

5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Migrating single disk to raid 1

Well, since you have a blank disk now... and a ghost image... your in good shape.

Just add the second disk, delete the array, recreate the array and logical drive and restore the image.

The short answer to the question is... No.

This is because the SCSI adaptor simply just presents the drive as a raw physical device to the host OS. An Array controller on the other hand presents logical drives, not physical drives... to the host OS. Thus, the drive does not contain any information on "configuration parameters", where as a drive on an Array Controller stores the array config.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

There could be problems when you boot the restored OS image. Because this image has the controller drivers for the SCSI adapter, not the RAID controller. You could try install first the array controller, in this case, pnp may install the right drivers and allow your system to boot.

Do carefully a recovery plan.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Agreed.

Probably would be best to restore the system as it was with just the hdd attached to SCSI adaptor, install the 641 and load drivers, re-image and complete procedure.

You may have to modify your boot.ini file as well, depending on the controller order after you drop the new image back.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
e4services
Honored Contributor

Ya, your error was to initialize the new logical drive you created once you moved it to the RAID card. Once you attached it, you can configure it, RAID 0, accept the change. but when it tells you that you haven't initialize the new logical, ignore it and exit. Otherwise it will re-format the logical drive and you have nothing.
When you reboot, the drive should be as it was, accessed through the original format.

At this point you can add a second drive and migrate to RAID1
Hot Swap Hard Drives
-Fredrik Persson-
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply guys.