New Discussion юеВ

Minimal configuration of EVA8400

SOLVED
Go to solution
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Minimal configuration of EVA8400

Hi,
We have a EVA5000 (with controller HSV 110) and we want upgrade to EVA8400. We don't use a lot of space in disks. The change is due to obsolescence (a high cost of maintenance, lack of support for most recent versions of multipath software, etc.).
Due to budget restriction, we want to buy the EVA 8400 with a minimal configuration.

The question is:
What is the minimun configuration in disks (minimun amount or minimum size) considering the requeriments from the disk enclosure and the spare space.
Thanks in advance.
Roger
12 REPLIES 12
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Minimal configuration of EVA8400

Hello,
I think the smallest config available for EVA8400 is 2x controller and 1 disk shelf with 8 disks. Please check quickspecs http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13206_div/13206_div.HTML .

But buy higest model of curent HP EVA's just with some disk does not have sence. Main advantage of such array is virtualisation over LOTS of disk to get performance. If you really need EVA, consider smallest and of course cheapes model - EVA4400. Or buy some Entry level storages like P2000 (former MSA) or P4000 (former Lefthand). I do not see sence in buying Midrange array few disks...

Jan
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Thanks Jan for your response.
The reason for EVA 8400 is for availability. The requeriment is to have redundant parts for minimize downtime. I don't know if models more modest have the same features.
Please, provide me any clues.
Also, the vendor say that the EVA 8400 is the adequate for us.
Thanks.
Roger
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
vendor always says the highest model is most suitable... :)

From point of availability, we can say HP offers 3 tiers of arrays:
1) Entry level - like P2000, maybe P4000. They SPOF is mainly backend, if this fails, you loose array

2) Midrange EVA's - 99,999% availability, they SPOF is generally software, but now x4xx familly runs pretty smooth.
Performance rises from EVA4400 via EVA6400 to EVA8400, they differs in controllers, cache and number of loops and disks. We can say EVA4400 has slight teorethical disadvantage with having no loops.

3) Highend XP's - dedicated cache, brutal performance, high cost... :)

In your case EVA4400 should by finest candidate from all perpectives, if you love EVA management you are on right place. Of course everything depends on your budget... :)

Jan
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

I forgot to mention that after the initial purchase, we plan to buy more discs in the following periods. The initial limitation is budget issues.
Roger
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

ok, EVA4400 support up to 96 FC/FATA drives or 8 SSD. Do you plan buy more?

Jan
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

I don't think so
Roger
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

EVA8400 Minimum config would be 3 Enclosures not a 1 Disk Enclosure. Maximum is 27 Enclosures. EVA Require minimum 8 Disks to Initialize the EVA.
HenkW
Advisor

Hello,

I agree that eva 4400 would be the first choice if you stay with EVA.
If no common backplane makes you feel save and you want an EVA think about eva 6400 with 2 disk shelfs.

Regards
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

The EVA8400 must have at least 3 disk enclosures?

How many disks must have at least each enclosure?
Roger