108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mirror Disk Across 2 Controllers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Charlie Durand
Occasional Contributor

Mirror Disk Across 2 Controllers

I need to know if it is possible to create a mirrored RAID 1 disk using two disks and two controllers.

The two controllers in this case would be Netraid 2M's.

I need to recreate a situation one of my customers is seeing and they swear this is how they have their mirrored disks set up. They aren't using HP hardware though.

I have never seen a set up like this and can't see how to do it using Netraid Assistant.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

If you'll install W2K server then as I remember you can do dynamic disk mirroring even having installed simple AHA-29160 SCSI controller
Eugeny

You are referring to disk duplexing, which must be done through software(W2K).You don't need raid adapters for this, as raid is handled by the OS(s/w raid).
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Charlie,

making a RAID1 hardware mirror pair via two Netraid cards in the same server is not possible, the Netraid cards do not allow this.
The customer could have used 2 channels maybe but never 2 controllers with the 2M to make this setup, maybe he talks about another vendor's solution or confuses H/W raid with S/W raid.

Only option is to use s/w mirroring as already mentioned but then you don't need expensive cards like the 2M because they don't really add value for this kind of setup.

Kris