1753854 Members
7633 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mix SAS single port disks with SAS dual port disks within same Array

Merli Roberto
Occasional Contributor

Mix SAS single port disks with SAS dual port disks within same Array

We have an existing Array Raid5 build with HP SAS 300GB 15k single port disks on a HP MSA60 enclosure.
We need to add a spare disk, but are not able to buy a single port one, because they are discontinued.
HP Support and Array Configuration Manager don't recommend to add a "dual port" disk to a "single port" disk Array. Do we have to change all disks? or can we mix up same capacity and speed disks (single port and dual port)?
4 REPLIES 4
Taohung
Frequent Advisor

Re: Mix SAS single port disks with SAS dual port disks within same Array

Don't care.
You can mix single and dual port SAS disks in the MSA60 enclosure.

What is different between single and dual port ?
==>
On HP ProLiant servers Dual Domain support is available for the HP Smart Array P800 attached to a MSA60 with the addition of the HP StorageWorks Dual Domain I/O Module Option (AG779A).

Dual Domain support with HP Smart Array P800 Controller for HP ProLiant and Integrity servers (requires dual port SAS drives)
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

I have and array with four disk (sas dual port 15000 rpm)configured in raid5 , I have a failed disk .
Can I use a single port disk drive 10000rpm as replacement?
rperez
WilliamSmith11
Super Advisor

Sorry I forget say that the machine is an Integrity server, running hpux
rperez
appli1
Occasional Contributor

Similare kind of query:
I have rx2660 server with all the SAS disks (internal) were single port disk. One of the internal disk is failed & it is replaced with dual port SAS disk. Whether this mixed SAS single port disks with SAS dual port disks will lead to any issue ?