108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Model 20 problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
David_173
Occasional Contributor

Model 20 problem

we have a raid model 20 that we have powered down over the weekend and now when powering up we get a subsytem fault warning and it fails to power up
The screen capture of the power up sequence is attached. any help will be appreciated
7 REPLIES 7
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

A few questions:

what SP do you have:
Does it have an on off switch on it (must open door)
hopefully it doesnt

Secondly did you swap disks ever - between this array and a second.

Thirdly, did anyone ever open up the array and flick a jumper on the backplane?

If you remove SPA does it boot off SPB?

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
David_173
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bill

The SP is an SP620(without switch), we only have SPA installed
The disks that are currently installed are second user disks and would have been used on other systems.
As far as i am aware no jumpers on the backplane have been touched.
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

There's obviously data on the disks.. I'd guess that the copy of SPprom/config recorded to the database drives (the disks mentioned on boot) are not matching the SP prom..

Try pulling out the top left disk and boot. (presuming you're raided on that disk)

This will force the array to boot off the next disk, which hopefully may work.

If you don't care about the data, you can always attempt a f/w upgrade from offline diag, however, there are ways to recover LUNs from gridmgr even after deletion, but this requires full knowledge of what was tehre before..

in FE mode, ctrl [][][][][][][]...[][] until you get prompt. (then help)

Anyway, if I were you, I'd call the disk expert center/wtec in on this, I'll root around for some more, but haven't had much luck so far.

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

think you just need to download Prom 1.73 to the SP.
This would match 9.55.01.

This is once you verify from your attachment, that the 1.63 code is in fact the prom code.. I no longer have access to my nike's so can't verify this bootup screen.

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)
David_173
Occasional Contributor

we will give that a try, thanks for your quick response..
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor
Solution

I got this in the past and what I did was to pull out one of the database drives and put it in the same location a few seconds later.
This worked for me but eventually, this happened again and solved the problem out by replacing mid-plane of the disk array.

I think that you need to place a hardware support call to HP if you don't want to lose your valuable data.

Good luck,
Never say "no" first.
David_173
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Insu, we just reseated one of the database drives with the power still on and lo and behold it powered up. I think a midplane change will be in order.