4059 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move disk to another Tru64 system

Yan Sze Kit
Occasional Advisor

Move disk to another Tru64 system

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have 2 ES40 machine, one is production and one is standby. Two months ago, I had done a migration that need a large disk space, so I took out the 2 disks from standby machine to production. After that, I finished the migration and get 2 disks back to standby machine. I tried rebuild the RAID 1 in these 2 disk. It seems to be fine. I try to remove the domain and fileset and create the new one. It didn't success. Did I make anything wrong? Can anyone have any hints to move the disk in this case? Many thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

It's not exactly clear to me what happened. It would help if you could show the commands you used and the error messages. Did removing the domain or creating the new one fail?

When you say you rebuild RAID1, was that:
- between the two disks you moved?
- on a backplane RAID controller?
- using LSM?

Please try to be more precise and we will help...
Yan Sze Kit
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for unclear description,

RAID rebuild is done on a backplane RAID controller.

After I put the 2 disks back to the standby machine. The backplane RAID controller doesn't read 2 disks. So I rebuilded The RAID on these 2 disks. It is fine.

Then, I reboot the system.

I tried to create the domain and fileset. I type the command

> mkfdmn /dev/ri5c usr_backup_domain

The error message come out
==============================
The disklabel for /dev/rri5c cannot be updated.
Quitting ...
mkfdmn: can't create new domain 'usr_backup_domain'

Any comment?

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

What kind of backplane RAID controller is it?
What version of Tru64 UNIX are you using?

Looks like there is a problem with the disklabel. I would try to recreate it using something like "disklabel -wr -t advfs re5".

However looking at the error message, it could be that there is still an issue with the disk. Perhaps you need to make the LUN available again to the host or write enable it (from the RAID controller)...
Yan Sze Kit
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply.

The RAID controller is KZPCC controller. I am using Tru64 4.0G.

I tried to run the disklabel command
that you give me.
>disklabel -wr -t advfs rz5

The message come out
disklabel: rz5: No such device or address

It seems to be the disk doesn't exit.

Do I need to do the anything to the disk
using KZPCC console?

How can I make the LUN available again to the host or write enable it (from the RAID controller)?

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Well... in your error message you wrote "ri5". I don't think that's correct, but I could be wrong. So I wrote "re5", which is suspect is the correct name. It's definitelty not "rz5" which would be used for "normal" SCSI devices.

If you could look in the boot log (for instance from /var/adm/messages or from uerf) then you should be able to find the device. Another way of finding the device would be to give a "file /dev/rre*a" command as root. It should show up there together with the other LUN's presented by the same RAID controller".

If the device doesn't show up in the log, then you probably need to do something in the RAID controller to make it available. Haven't got the documentation at hand, so I can't tell you what the commands are.
Yan Sze Kit
Occasional Advisor

I checked with the log using uerf, I found that the disk device name is ri5. I occurred in April. After that the device is missing in the current log.

I think I have to do something in the RAID controller to let the disk show up.

I run the RAID controller using command "run bios pza0". Do you have any idea to use this console? Or do you have documentation that you can show me? Many thanks

Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Okay. "ri5" still surprises me. But my memory may be fading...

You need to find the RCU utility if you want to this offline. Depending whether you have a graphics adapter or not, you have to find the RA200RCU.EXE or RA200SRL.EXE utility on the RCU floppy. I think you probably know which one, since you said in this topic that you already built a RAID 1 out of the two drives. This is where you created the "drive group", I believe.

When you are in the RCU, you should define the "logical drive" for the "drive group". Don't forget to save the configuration when you're done.
Han Pilmeyer
Esteemed Contributor

Oops. And don't forget to initialize the "logical disk" you just created. The logical disk should be number 5 if it is to become "ri5" in tru64 UNIX.
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Han, I had once a kzpcc, not a kzpac running under 4.0f. The device name is ri indeed. If
disklabel -wr -t advfs rz5
does not work you can try to
run bios controller name
from the console prompt.
The controller name you get with
show dev
from the console prompt.

greetings,

Michael