108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move vdisk to different disk group ONLINE

SOLVED
Go to solution
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Move vdisk to different disk group ONLINE

We've got an EVA6400 with Business Copy. Is it possible to move a vdisk from one disk group to another online (ie without attached hosts noticing)?

We have mirror clones, so I'm thinking I could at least mirror clone the vdisks into the new DG, then stop Oracle and fracture the mirrorclones, then unpresent the old disks and present the fractured clones using the old disk LUNs... but that requires significant downtime.

So my question again, can I move a vdisk without taking it offline to presented hosts at all? It would be great if, once the mirrorclones were sync'ed, there was a button to press to fracture AND take over presentation at the same time.
Hockey PUX?
8 REPLIES 8
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
this doc could help you:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01680873/c01680873.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Abstract:

A mirrorclone can be in a different disk group than the source. For better protection from hardware failures, HP recommends creating a mirrorclone in a different disk group than the source (by default, a mirrorclone is created in the same disk group as its source).
the pain is one part of the reality
Rampy(Venu)
Frequent Advisor
Solution

1.No it is not possible for now.
2.Mirror clones or snapclones are the best options but they both need database's to be stopped for sure.
3.After fracturing the vdisk and presenting it to the server we dont get the resync option,,we have to detach or take snapshot's.

This feature is not implemented for now and need significant downtime as you said.May be this will be introduced in future command view releases.
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info, folks. Wish that were possible -- it's awfully silly that moving a vdisk to another DG requires an outage.
Hockey PUX?
hpite
Frequent Advisor

Hi Trever,

Just out of curiousity, why are you moving a vdisk from one disk grp to another?

Normally, we put all the disks in one disk grp unless we have different speeds or FATA drives. Are you moving the vdisk to different speed drives?

Regarding the mirrorclone button question, you might want to check out if RSM has a template to do the mirrorclone, fracture it and present it. It might even be able to quiesce Oracle bec I seem to remember RSM caters specifically to Oracle.
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply, hpite. We've got two disk groups due to having two different disk sizes. We were originally supposed to receive all 450GB disks, but at the time HP couldn't meet the delivery timeline with 450's, so we ended up with mostly 300's.

We ran low on capacity with 4400 controllers and had to fill the rest of the slots with 450's later, and we recently changed out the 4400 controllers for 6400 controllers and doubled the size of the 300GB disk DG, so now we'd like to move the LUNs that ended up on 450's back over to the (now significantly faster due to increased spindle count) 300GB disk DG.

I have ten LUNs in the slower DG that I need to move over, and with all the clicking involved in mirror-fracture-unpresent-present I'm thinking that's going to lead to a couple of hours of downtime.
Hockey PUX?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> downtime

Sounds like a job for "superman" SSSU to reduce that time bit - especially if you have many unpresentations/presentations to manage. Work out the basic commands on a small test setup and then use cut/paste/replace to build the final script(s).
Trever Furnish
Regular Advisor

Thanks, Uwe. I'll give it a shot -- I need to dig into sssu anyway and get an automated config dump of the EVA settings.
Hockey PUX?
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
May, may not help you now but did you know that you can mix different disk sizes / speeds in the same DG ?? There are reasons for and against this but it is possible.
Note, not possible to mix different types, fata with online.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...