1752297 Members
4691 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving JBOD drives from one SATA array controller to another

James T. Welborne
Occasional Contributor

Moving JBOD drives from one SATA array controller to another

I have an ML110 G4 and a ML150 G5. I moved 2 JBOD drives from the ML110 G4 controller to the ML150 G5 controller. The drives were in ports 0 and 1 on the Ml110 and they are in on ports 2 and 3 on the ML150.

When I boot up the POST shows the Array and 2 JBOD drives but when Windows starts I get an error stating to repair the hal.dll file using the original DVD.

Can I do this without losing the OS or the data on the JBOD drives?

Thanks,
Jim
3 REPLIES 3
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Moving JBOD drives from one SATA array controller to another

this may be better answered by some one in server forums on why this repair option is coming.

With respect to array controller/disks in JBOD, the meta data taken from disks have the priority. If you have moved all the disks in the raid group it should be accessible in the second system without any problem.
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
James T. Welborne
Occasional Contributor

You say the meta data takes precedence. Does this include the port assignments? The JBOD drives were in ports 0 and 1 on the G4 and the Raid 1 array on G5 is also in 0 and 1. Will this creat a conflict when the 2 JODS are moved to the G5?

Thanks, Jim
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Position of the disks does not matter.

From smart array documentation:
"Drive roaming
Drive roaming lets you move disk drives and arrays while maintaining data availability. You can move one or more disk drives in a configured logical drive to a different bay position as long as the new bay position is accessible by the same controller. In addition, you can move a complete array from one controller to another, even if controllers are in different servers.
Drive roaming is an offline feature. There is no method for removing an array while the server is online and then moving it to a new physical location."

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00687518/c00687518.pdf
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!