1748056 Members
4791 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Moving data drive between servers

Tony D'Agostino
Occasional Advisor

Moving data drive between servers

I have two ML530 servers that are configured identically, both with Compaq Smart Array 3200 controllers. They are both configured with 3 drive arrays. Array A is the operating system drive (Windows 2000) while arrays B and C are used for data storage only. If the operating system drive becomes corrupt on Server A is there any way that I can move array B from Server A and place in Server B in place of the current array B and be able to access the data? I don't care about the data on Server B as it is only test data.
5 REPLIES 5
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Re: Moving data drive between servers

If they are indeed identically configured all the way down to array and disk configs, you're probably safe in doing what you propose.
Tony D'Agostino
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I just want to follow up on this.....When moving the drives from Server A is there any special preparation required? Do I need to delete array B from Server B prior to removing the disks and replacing them? When I boot up Server B is it going to give me an error message regarding not recognizing the new drives or not finding the original drives?
Jim Turner
HPE Pro

Depends on how smart Winblows is. We've used the technique you propose with Linux and HP-UX without any problems. Your mileage may vary with Redmond products.

The only obvious thing is to have both servers and all disk shelves powered-off when you make the switch.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.
Tony D'Agostino
Occasional Advisor

Jim, you have been helpful. Let me clarify...I'm wondering about the POST detection/error messages even before it gets to Windows. Is the server going to detect something is awry and require me to create a new array or will it automatically read the configuration on the drives and boot normally with the new array B(of course this is all based on the hardware on the 2 systems being identical)?
Tony D'Agostino
Occasional Advisor

I'd like to move my data drive E: array C (see attachment) from this server and place in another identically configured server to access the data. In order to do this I would have to take the drives making up array C out of the 2nd server and replace with these drives. Will this work?? Can this be done? I'm thinking there will be issues with taking out the drives from the 2nd server and replacing with drives from a foreign system at boot up. Any ideas?

Thanks