108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NT Support for Extending a Array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew McLean_2
Occasional Contributor

NT Support for Extending a Array

Having waited days for my array on a ML380G3 to "expand" I now have unused space within my array into which I wisk to "Expand" but am confronted by a warning that extending an array is not support by all operating systems. I have an array spanning 4x72Gb disks plus one spare running on a NT4 server. Is NT4 one of the supported operating systems?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Re: NT Support for Extending a Array

Sorry, extending volumes is not supported on NT, only on Windows XP, 2000 and 2003!
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

NT does support the extension of logical drive volumes, but with a limitation. This limitation is on the Boot partition. NT can not recognize a boot record past the 1024th physical cylinder of the hard drive. So depending on the translation table used by the drive and the BIOS. 4GB is the safe maximum size for all HDs, but 8GB is the possible limit.
So as long as the OS logical drive you which to extend is not the boot volume, then you can "extend" or "Expand" the size of the volume to the free space.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Andrew McLean_2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I have in fact one logical drive within the array which has two partitions the first one containing the OS and the second one my data. It is the second partition that I wish to "Extend" using the free space added to the array during the expand process. Sorry I used too many expands in my original request the second one should have been extend.