1753920 Members
7597 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NT4 Crashing on upgrade of controller

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

NT4 Crashing on upgrade of controller

Field service engineer removed 3200 and replaced with 4200. Did not update driver, system crashed. I rebuilt using Smartstart 4.80 and 4200 card. System worked but when a replacement 3200 was plugged in system blue screened, No Boot device. I thought these cards were compatible. I certainly would not risk this again. What is the correct procedure?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NT4 Crashing on upgrade of controller

the 3200 controller uses the driver cpqarry.sys whereas the 4200 uses the driver cpqarry2.sys hardware wise yes they are compatible but the drivers are very different.
The easy way to do this is if you nt boot partition resides on fat then you can boot a windows/dos disk and rename the drive in the winnt\system32\drivers dir to cpqarry.sys to cpqarry.old, then copy the cpqarry2.sys to the same directory and rename it cpqarry.sys (since we will be using the 4200). and viola you are up and running. Had this happen before.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: NT4 Crashing on upgrade of controller

continuing from Orion_Quest's post: The HW is fine, the issue is with the OS. You can install the NT drivers for both controllers (a manual install, won't require the HW present), NT will enumerate the hardware during the NT boot process and start the appropriate driver. You can do this manually in the CtrlPanl Devices applet also, I use Bootcon for greater control (on my test server).