Disk Enclosures
1753802 Members
7752 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help rebuilding RAID 0 array

Stephen Snider

Need help rebuilding RAID 0 array

My situation is this: my client's HP Proliant ML 350 crashed with a BSOD, and needs to be rebuilt. I would like to attempt to recover some data that was not backed up prior to the crash.

The system is not bootable at all from the hard drive; however it boots from the Windows Server CD, and the SmartStart CD, which I used to verify that all hardware is working.

I attempted both a Windows Recovery Console, and an inline upgrade (reinstalling windows w/0 formatting), to no avail. It seems I will have to reformat and reinstall.

I have 2 SCSI drives in a RAID 1 array. I think I can both do this, and recover my data by doing the following:

1. remove the primary drive, set it aside
2. rebuild the OS on the secondary drive
3. parallel a new HD to the rebuilt OS
4. recover the data from the old primary drive by mounting it as a new, separate logical/physical drive.

Will this work? Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Snider
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Snider

Correction: RAID 1 array. Obviously, I could not do this if it were RAID 0.
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

You may have to mention you plan of action in a bit more detail - am not able to comprehend completely...

From what I could make out -

1. When you did attempt ADU and Insight diags on the server did you notice and confirm that HDDs are ok?
2. If the server is ok and HDDs are ok - (hardware perspective) then you may try and troubleshoot the BSOD
3. Do you intend to will have to reformat and reinstall or recover my data
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
Stephen Snider

1. When you did attempt ADU and Insight diags on the server did you notice and confirm that HDDs are ok?
2. If the server is ok and HDDs are ok - (hardware perspective) then you may try and troubleshoot the BSOD
3. Do you intend to will have to reformat and reinstall or recover my data

1. Yes, confirmed HDD and computer are okay; ran 8 hours of diagnostics tests with 0 errors.
2. Yep. went to MS website, found very little, except to confirm that I need to reinstall OS.
3. I want to do both, reformat and recover, by:

a. remove 1 (mirrored) drive from array
b. reformat second drive; reinstall, resetup
c. reconfigure array to RAID 0, install second hard drive as second logical drive
d. copy data from second drive to first
e. reconfigure as raid1; remirror second to first.

....will this work?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Stephen Snider

It covers most of what I need, and thank you.

The last step is to configure the array controller to accept the old drive, with the data to be recovered, as a new logical drive, so that data can be copied off of it.

I have never reconfigured an HP ACU, so I will RTFM, but if anyone can point me to the right place, the help will be appreciated.

Once again, thank you for confirming the steps for the first part of my mission.

Steve
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor