108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need information on AutoRaid 12H

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Scheiman_1

Need information on AutoRaid 12H

Howdy,

I am trying to locate techincal documentation on the AutoRaid 12H disk array. I am in a new job and have inherited a K360 running HPUX 10.20 with 2 AutoRaid 12H's interfaced to it.

I am planning to do a fresh install of HPUX 11i on the system, but would like to keep the data on these arrays. Since I am not familar with this device I have been searching through docs.hp.com and here for information describing these arrays, how the are managed and configured.

Also, while searching for this information I found some doc. that said that armserver had been obsoleted as of version 11i v1.6. I am planning on upgrading to 11i v2.0. Does anyone know if I will have problems using this array on 11i v2.0?

Thanks,

Dave

7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: Need information on AutoRaid 12H

Hi Dave,

Sorry, not supported on 11i v2

http://docs.hp.com/en/5990-8153/ch04s30.html

Regards,
Robert-Jan
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

While the array management software was not ported to the newer release, as long as the LUN's are already created on your 12H and you have HVD (FWD) SCSI interfaces in your new box then the array will work. You can certainly vgimport the data. One possible option would be to connect both the old K-box and the new box to the 12H so that the old box could be used for array maintenance.
You can actually have two host's connected on the same SCSI bus as long as one host's SCSI controller ID is set at 7 -- the highest priority and the other's is set at another ID -- preferably 6 --- the next highest priority.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
David Scheiman_1

Robert-Jan,

Thank you very much for your reply and link.

I will have to re-think my plan. Not sure if I have a budget that will allow purchase of a new array.

Regards,

Dave
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Here's a link to the 12H manuals:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=33733

man arraymgr, arraydsp, arraycfg on your old box for details as well.
David Scheiman_1

A. Clay,

Oh, maybe it could work after all. This is not a production system (one reason it is so very far behind).

All the application data is on the array. I am not going to a different k360. I was going to vgexport -p everything on the array. vg00 is on internal disks, and I was going to install the 11i on vg00 where 10.20 now resides, and then vgimport everything on the array. That was my initial plan. I am now researching to flesh out the plan and its feasiblity.

Thank you and regards,

Dave
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Okay, Plan C. I THINK this will work. Backup everything under /opt/hparray under your 10.20 OS to tape and restore under your new OS. Everything should work. The utilities are also available and fully supported under 11.11.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Actually, all this is moot because 11iv2.0 is not supported on a K-box.